Existing Member?

Mutts On Bikes

Messier than a monkey's birthday.

CHILE | Friday, 9 January 2009 | Views [1179] | Comments [11]

Harrowing tunnel experiences, morning hill climbs, our old friend dehydration - all part of our trip from Santiago to Valparaiso Monday. Not to mention a meandering dirt bike path designed by an urban planner with an excellent sense of humor.

We have been recently and frequently spoiled, starting with Nicole and Pepe, owners of Epif vegetarian cafe in Valparaiso, who make the best bbq tofu burrito on both sides of the Andes and own a home that overlooks the entire port. Accommodations included a patio, a bed (!) a visit to an excellent gay bar and tranny show (!), a notable graffiti tour, a trip to the prison-turned-cultural-center, the cemetery, the open air fruit and veggie market, and the velodrome. Let me repeat that last one. VELODROME. Count yourselves lucky that you will ever see us again, for the attractions and exploits offered in this beachside community atop a series of endless winding hills are many. 

After some notable misdirection and a ride that took us for the most part directly along the coast, we're in Nogales, a small eastern town where we slept in the lap of luxury with Meg's aunt's friends Susan and Ricardo, who own an orange orchard, five dogs, a cat and nine horses here.

We debate whether to travel the older inland road toward La Ligua, or to take the much larger Panamericana (ruta 5).  

Photo-wanters take note: http://www.flickr.com/photos/getabike/

Also note than the creation of this page was a monumental pain in the ass, and won't likely be updated much, considering our usual lack of internet. (Again, this was the result of spoiling.)

Herding cats,

the mutts.

Comments

1

Ladies: Your pages have been great and informative for the folks at home. I may not speak for all your friends in the North, but there are quite a few that love the chance to hear about your trips. Keep up the blog if you can.

  Ev Coulter Jan 9, 2009 6:37 AM

2

i love hearing about your travels... keep it up!

  jennie Jan 9, 2009 7:36 AM

3

Okay, I'm starting to worry that you will never come home, Caitlin. Sounds fabulous. How about writing a travel book (are you the new Paul Theroux) when you come back? Or when you decide to live in Chile forever?

Put in a good word for me at the next gay bar!

Love, Papa

  Kerry Jan 9, 2009 9:44 AM

4

ladies... i'm so glad that you made it safely (though round-aboutly) to your next stop. the house feels so quiet without you all (and your bikes) here. on the flip side, a stray kitten adopted us last night, so he is now upstairs, duking it out with mews to establish territory. we'll see how it goes or if anyone claims the little kitty. keep up the herding. love, nicolle

  Nicolle Jan 9, 2009 10:39 AM

5

You're in bat country! Don't get lockjaw!

  Felchy McSnowball Jan 10, 2009 3:05 AM

6

So I am now officially on your RSS feed and all I have to say is that you are still the raddest chick I know. Since I am now in law school and you are off exploring the world, I am a little jealous, but also very happy for you. Love you and miss you and can't wait until the day our paths cross again. Rock on with your bad self!

Erin

  Erin Rex Jan 10, 2009 8:00 AM

7

Caitlin (and the people I don't know) -
You are awesome. I am so proud to call you my sister. ahaha. My friends Julia and April who are here right now as well think your adventures are amazing as well.

Keep having an awesome time!

Em

  Emily Watson Jan 10, 2009 10:32 AM

8

Hey, I miss hearing from you. When will you blog us again?

  Kerry Jan 14, 2009 12:45 AM

9

You guys are indeed having fun out there!

  Gopi Jan 14, 2009 4:41 AM

10

just came across you page by luck...
great journey,,,keep it on.
happy rides and a lot of tail winds!!!
ontheroad.eu.com

  nuno Jan 14, 2009 2:29 PM

11

Rach,
Looks like you are having way too much fun! Got the postcard. Guess what? Another dog found it's way to our door and yes, we are keeping the 2.5 lb. chiwawa! We all miss you so much. Stay safe. We love you.
Oh, yeah. Got rid of the first guy. He was fun until he wasn't! Now moving on to another one!!! Madeleine

  Madeleine Jan 27, 2009 3:48 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Chile

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.