Existing Member?

On Wheels

Bangladesh Rocks!

BANGLADESH | Sunday, 25 March 2007 | Views [1264] | Comments [2]

   Arrived in Khulna District. On the way to the city I spotted something going on in a school near by the road, got it, the usual - swarmed by curios ppl. They took me to sit in the middle of a crowd who were attentiously looking at a setup stage, where students would perform all kinds of acts - singing, rapping, acting, poetry reading, a school cultural function, said someone sitting by me. Minutes later an older man comes holding a glass, a knife and a coconut; hands me the glass, cuts open the coconut and fills my glass, which was kept full during my entire stay in the chair when I heard:

-         blablabla cycler, Brasil, blabla, Mr. Rodrigo…gesturing his hands calling me up in the stage. Here I go again, “big shot.”

Up and down the stage a few times, answered a few question, took a few pictures, received a book from the school director, more pictures…another coconut, back on the road to Khulna city. As recommended by the great officer, Shafiqur Rahman, I should go straight to Khulna police station and talk to the officer-in-charge; he would be informed of my situation. Arrived at the KPS. I’ve never seen so many officers under the same roof, not even during my time in the “force” (good one); yes I did join. Anyway; talk to a few officers ‘till I somebody appointed an officer to assist me on “why was I there?” Was then, I made a great friend, officer Awal Kabir (sub-inspector) who became like a brother, treating me with great care and interest on my ride and myself. We cruise around the city, went to have a tea, dinner and snacks, sat and talk for a long time about Bangladesh and its ppl. Awal, his brother, and other officers took were always checking on me to see if I needed anything. Got a bed on the officers’ room, woke up next morning and headed to Mongla, the second major port in Bangladesh – south. Before I left, officer Kabir gave me strict orders to not go Dhaka before seeing him again – I couldn’t and wouldn’t say no.

Mongla, not only important for it’s port, but also, for it’s famous world heritage fauna & flora – The Sundarbarns Freshwater SwampForest with the world’s largest mango plantation, and the even more famous Bengal Tiger. On my way to Mongla, I had to stop and drink some water; I did – I still feel sorry for it. Had some bad water and ended up having the rest of my days in Bangladesh running into the closest “honey bucket” I could find.

Back in Khulna on the same day, still impressed with the Sixty Pillar Mosque, said to be over one thousand years old mosque, in Bagerhat. Looked for Awal, he was on duty, went to sleep, back in the morning, he was away…see you next time officer Kabir. Thanks for all.

On the road to Dhaka, I thought so! My stocmach had killed my mood, and slowed me down enough to make me stop 28km later, in Fakirhat…yup, it sounds funny when you hear the first time. There I was on no mood or patience for chit-chat with the crowd…ppl kept surrounding me, I kept moving away, they would follow me, I was feeling very uncomfortable and just wanted to be alone…no way, they just wouldn’t go away. I went looking for a toilet.

With an extensive and honorable resume with endless community service and NGO related business, my new friend and savior comes into play – Mr. Khan Ariful Haque (Arif.) He took me to his office to use the restroom, ending on a place to crash for a night, cruise around the village to meet his friends and family, and a delicious bag of fruit for dinner. Next morning he took me to the bus station, and got me in a bus to Dhaka – 182km

Tags: On the Road

Comments

1

Good to know you are still alive and doing well. Hang on. See you somewhere...

  YLL Mar 29, 2007 11:22 PM

2

Thanks for visit bangladesh and good coments. I believe that you will be come to bangladesh again. See you somewhere

Saiful
Dhaka, Bangladesh

  saiful Apr 9, 2008 4:50 PM

About mutt


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Bangladesh

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.