Existing Member?

Musical and other adventures

Thursday 20 June - bit of a rest plus Britten Dances at Snape

UNITED KINGDOM | Friday, 21 June 2013 | Views [130]

 

Today was a day of taking it easy. We had lunch at a pub near the beach, then a bit if a stroll before getting ready to head back to Snape Maltings again. This time we were booked to see some ballets, called Britten Dances because they were setting some of Britten's famous pieces to ballet. The ballets were performed by Royal Ballet Flanders, and the Royal Ballet. There were 4 ballets and the best one was the Royal Ballet's world premiere performance of Ceremony of Innocence set to Britten's famous 1937 piece, Variations on a Theme by Frank Bridge (Frank Bridge was Benjamin Britten's teacher). 
 
The ballets were all modern productions with minimal staging and simple costumes. In fact, the first ballet was so minimal that one of the dancers looked like he was only wearing a singlet and his undies, and the others looked like they were dancing in their long johns! By contrast, the last ballet made use of some very clever lighting effects, depicting the changing tides and waves of the sea on the back wall of the stage, plus numerous other effects. 
 
We were invited to interval drinks, which was nice. However the intervals at Snape are quite short so there isn't much time for a drink! One of the couples we met at a previous concert, complained to us about the very short intervals. Not sure if they have complained to anyone who can do something about it!

About musicaladventures


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.