Existing Member?

Enjoying Life....

Someone likes my American accent!!!

AUSTRALIA | Wednesday, 10 February 2010 | Views [308] | Comments [5]

Well..I haven't done anything too exciting besides work, pole dancing classes and walking around a park.  Work is keeping me pretty busy and I'm working all sorts of hours (early mornings and late nights) just so I can communicate with people in the US and UK and get things done. We had a work dinner tonight with the firm that we are subcontracting through...it is the first time I've had a non-Asian meal since I've been here. I've either been eating out at Asian restaurants or cooking at home.  We had Italian food tonight and this place is well known for their pizza...I ordered something with mozzarella and anchovies...it was good..but wow..the anchovies were VERY salty. Are they normally salty!??!

I've actually met a few people while I was out and about.  I've been picking up girls and getting their phone numbers...one girl I met swing dancing, one that I met on the tram, and one that I met pole dancing.  I'm getting pretty good at picking up girls...hahaha.  I need to work on my skills for picking up men though.  I tell my co-workers that I am too shy when it comes to meeting and talking to men...they don't believe me and said they would hate to see me "confident" if I am describing myself as shy! :) I still think I am shy though when meeting men!!!

I had one of the ladies that sit on the other side of my cube tell me she liked my accent today!  I told her I love the Australian and British accent, so it's great that she likes my accent since to me, the American accent is kinda plain.  With their accents, even if they are upset, they still sound so pleasant, so you can't really tell they are upset.

 Everyone is so nice here though that no one really gets upset and we are all very pleasant and friendly with each other.  I can't get over how nice everyone is...not just at work but everyone I've encountered so far.  I can see why people end up relocating here.  There seems to be alot of transplants from other countries...what's not to like when the people are friendly and there's lots of good food?

So just some random facts about what I've learned so far...
1)  They drive on the other side of the road...wonder why I never knew that before?  When I take the tram, I keep having to remember to go on the other side of the road so I am riding in the right direction. 
2)  There's a difference in how a male pig and female pig tastes...so the butchers actually sell both and you can pick which one you want.  I'm not sure which one tastes better
3)  They buy stuff online from the US and have it shipped to Australia since it's much cheaper in the US.  So for example, they don't have an Amazon here, they just buy from Amazon US.
4)  A cricket game can go anywhere from 3-5 days...wow..that's a long time!!!
5)  They love Krispy Kreme...when the first one opened in one of the suburbs...there was a 4 hour wait to get a donut in the mornings.  Btw..supposedly, the people in that suburb are overweight...probably from the donuts!!!  Hahaha...  Also, when Sydney had a Krispy Kreme and Melbourne didn't...people would actually buy it in Sydney and carry it on the plane with them so they could share it with their friends.  How funny is that?!
6)  They like to shorten words...I guess too lazy to say the whole thing...hehehe...like piccy for pictures
7)  A "bogan" is their term for redneck/white trash...apparently alot of them in the suburb where the Krispy Kreme first opened in Melbourne
8)  There can be 4 seasons in one day...the weather here can change significantly in one day from hot to cold to rain, etc.  Apparently, it's something everyone has gotten use to.
9)  They have "morning tea" which is where everyone brings in cake, cupcakes etc into the office and share it everyone and we all chat

So speaking of morning tea, we are having one on Friday.  Our cubes are on the HR Floor and one of the ladies decided to have morning tea to welcome us.  I've got to figure out what I want to make or buy...it sounds like it's going to be an unhealthy day starting off the morning with dessert...but it sounds yummy.  I think I will have to squeeze in a few more pole classes to burn off the calories!!  BTW..the two pole classes I took on Monday and Tuesday KICKED MY BUTT...I am so out of shape and so weak.  Definitely need to work on getting stronger and more flexible!

Comments

1

I am vicariously living in Australia through your blog. How exciting. Everyone seems nice at first, I hope it doesn't wear off! I still think most people are nice in Atlanta, but I've also seen some not so nice people as well. For the most part everyone is nice! I like how the people like Krispy Kremes and fly them from one place to the other. I don't like really like them because they're so damn greasy!!! Pus I grew up on the huge variety that is Dunkin Donuts! What's with food and alliterations...must make it taste better!!!

Oh, and when I would go to Philly, everyone would ask me to bring back Tasty Kakes to California since they weren't sold out there. If only these businesses realized those potential markets!!

Keep having fun girl!

  only1kakia Feb 11, 2010 12:10 AM

2

yes you can be shy and high maintenance. they are not mutually exclusive. but you're not shy. teach me your ways for picking up women oh great one.<br><br>and anchovies are salted pickled fish. ppl never order them in the states but it is a pizza condiment. i guess the palate for food is wider in Aus.<br><br>i like brit/aus slang words. they are quite witty and creative.

  ks_muoy_master Feb 11, 2010 7:26 AM

3

@Kakia - Glad you are enjoying the blog!! :) I've never heard of Tasty Kakes? What are those?!?!

@Ki - It takes years to master the art of picking up women...I'm afraid you are starting too late!! By the time you master it, you'll be 70! Then the women wouldn't want you cause you're an old creepy guy!

  muoy Feb 11, 2010 7:16 PM

4

Hey Little, I'm glad you got to go there. It's one more thing to add to the travel / knowledge books. I believe back in the history of how Australia was formed, the Brits and Americans brought their prisoners to this land, not a country then and slowly grew to be what it is. So I'm sure somewhere in that pool you will be meeting ex-con blood (ha ha ha).
Your apartment looks killer, great view! Have fun! And no, you're not shy, you're just proper :)

  Jerryhongjetloganku Feb 12, 2010 5:52 PM

5

haha...I love how you squeezed the whole family in the name part. Hope Logan is doing well and Hong is not too stressed with both babies!

I did hear that this is where the Brits sent all the convicts (didn't know about Americans)...we were actually chatting about it today. But surprisingly, crime is very low here...maybe they've all been reformed. :)

  muoy Feb 12, 2010 6:16 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.