Existing Member?

Enjoying Life....

Doing the local stuff....

AUSTRALIA | Saturday, 6 February 2010 | Views [423] | Comments [5]

I ventured outside the CBD on Friday night and took the tram for the first time.  I decided to check out the Melbourne swing dancing classes and social dancing in a suburb called Richmond.  It should've only taken me 20 minutes to get there but it took me about an hour since I got lost trying to find the tram stop and the trams were running late due to events at Melbourne Park (Rob Thomas, cricket match, and I think soccer).  I asked this good-looking gentleman to point me in the direction of the tram to take me to Richmond and he directed me to the wrong stop...but since he was so good-looking, I couldn't be upset at him.  :)  I ended up asking another good-looking guy for directions and this time, told him the specific tram number I needed and he got me to the right place!  Getting lost isn't so bad since it gives me an excuse to talk to these attractive men!!! :)

I was 20 minutes late to the first swing class, but was able to catch on to the moves pretty quickly.  This was an intermediate lindy hop class and I stayed after for the beginning charleston class.  Since there were so many girls in the charleston class and I'm familar with the basic footwork, I decided to be a leader...which was pretty cool.  My first time leading a girl!!  I had one of the girls tell me I was her favorite lead since I was the right height for her (she is really short!).  I stayed after for the social dancing and met a few people.  It's definitely a much bigger group than the swing dance events in Atlanta...the people seem friendly enough...though I hear the Thursday night dances are much better since people tend to ask other people to dance more often.

I left around 11pm to take the tram home and I'm surprised at how many people are still out and about around the CBD.  It's the first time I've been out this late and I never realized there was so much going on (yes, yes..I know I'm an old lady).  Seemed like alot of the people are tourist and with all the lights and people, it kinda reminds me of New York City...around the Times Square area.  There were also alot of people decked out to go to the bars/clubs.

On Saturday morning, I got up bright and early to go to the Queen Victoria Market.  This market is amazing and things are so much cheaper than the supermarkets!  It's like a huge farmers market mixed with a flea market type area.  There were tons of fresh fruits and vegetables to choose from...I felt so overwhelmed with all the stalls of produce.  I think I might have ripped off some of the stalls since I wasn't sure I was paying the right person...each stall seemed to run into each other so I would just pay the one I thought it belonged to.  I think I also jipped this lady a couple of dollars since I'm still trying to recognize the coins and I think I gave her 20 cents instead of $2.  She had pointed at my corn and veggies when I gave her the money and then she said OK.  I think I must have been bargaining and didn't even realize it!  Hahaha...

There's also a separate building for all the meats and seafood.  I don't think I've ever seen so much beef and lamb in my life!!  Again, I felt overwhelmed because there was so much to chose from!  I just went to the stalls with alot of people since I figured if they are all going there, it must be good!  I didn't see alot of chicken, which I thought was odd.  There were a few stalls selling free range chicken, but the chicken breasts were about $15/kg!!!  Ouch...expensive...the beef ended up being cheaper!  There was also a stall that sold kangaroo and rabbit meat...I haven't figured out if I will try either of those before I leave.  I didn't know people really ate kangaroos!!!

By the time I was done shopping, my backpack and shopping bag was full and everything was heavy.  Walking the 20 minutes back home was going to be hard...I'd been trying to find the European shopping trolley over the last week so I could just wheel everything but didn't have much luck at any of the local stores.  As I was walking out of the market, I saw a store that sold the trolley!  You wouldn't believe how estastic I was to find one...this totally made my day!! The 20 minute walk home was so easy I wished I'd bought more stuff!! My life here will be so much more convenient without having to carry my groceries...especially bottles of water which is heavy!!!  I really miss my car for times like this when I have to carry alot of stuff (or big stuff).  The other day, I was carrying a laundry basket filled with groceries and stuff for the apartment...walking uphill!!  I'm sure I looked pretty funny!

After lunch, I went to check out a dance class at one of the pole dance studios I'd been looking into.  I've been wanting to get back into pole dancing after my wrist surgery, so figured now would be the right time to do it since I need something to burn off the weight I will be putting on while I am here! It's also located in Richmond and not far from the place where I went swing dancing...so this time, the tram experience was much better!  I had a great time at the class, but I think I will be going with another studio where I was able to negotiate a better price by buying multiple classes upfront.  I've got my weekly schedule worked out where I will pole dance Mon - Wed, swing dance Thu - Fri, random pole/exotic dance workshops on Sat, and rest on Sunday.  Hopefully I won't get too worn out from all my activities! :)

I walked around Richmond after the class and did some shopping.  The prices are much better here than the CBD.  I think I was just in all the expensive stores at the CBD last week...I'm starting to find places where things are not as expensive..which is great!  I bought two dresses for work (I didn't bring enough work clothes and some of the suits I brought didn't really fit me anymore) and both were reasonably priced.

The rest of my afternoon/evening was not very exciting...Michael and I got together to do some work (on a Saturday!) and I cooked dinner for both of us.  I need to rest up since I am doing another pole class workshop tomorrow at another studio!

P.S. I will post pictures soon!!!

Comments

1

It sounds like you're having fun. Just be careful when you're out at night by yourself.

  Hong Feb 7, 2010 7:49 AM

2

Oh no! Here we go with all the eating posts again!! hehehe.... Isn't it great to be in a *real* city where there's so much going on and the city doesn't seem to sleep? The flea market stalls selling produce reminds me of the stalls in Paris, remember? The cool thing was that the stall-keeper always gave you the best so you never had to do your own picking. Hey def try the kangaroo meat since it's not something you can try in the states. I wanna know how it tastes like. If they have kangaroo jerkies or something, you can bring that back for me. Try talking to the ugly nerdy guys once in awhile... then you won't get lost.

  ks_pimpin Feb 7, 2010 8:20 AM

3

@Hong - Yeah, I'll have to be careful when I am by myself at night. People say Melbourne is pretty safe, but I'll probably take the taxis home when I am out late so I don't have to worry about walking from the tram stations.

@Ki - I don't remember the flea markets in Paris for some reason...I might pick up some kangaroo meat next weekend and try it. I don't want to try it at the end of the trip only to find out I like it and then I'm leaving the country!

  muoy Feb 7, 2010 6:34 PM

4

With all the classes you are going to and checking out, you should be making some money from this side gig. Who knows, you may actually be good enough to open a studio when you get back.

  Hubby Feb 10, 2010 5:46 AM

5

Haha..no way!! Too shy! :)

  muoy Feb 11, 2010 7:13 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.