Existing Member?

Enjoying Life....

First couple of days in oz....

AUSTRALIA | Sunday, 31 January 2010 | Views [600] | Comments [11]

I've been in Melbourne for almost 2 days now and I think I'm almost over the jetlag!!  I took a nap last night for a few hours and then went to sleep around 11pm and woke up around 5am.  When I was in Asia...it took me almost a week to get adjusted!!

I had such a interesting trip here...I missed 2 of my 3 flights to Melbourne (ATL - LAX, SYD - MEL).  But missing the flight from Sydney to Melbourne turned out GREAT since I got to sit next to a celebrity....Patrick Stewart!!!  We both got rescheduled to this new flight since it took so long for us to get our bags to make the connecting flight.  He was reading his newspaper during the beginning of the flight and when we made eye contact, I was like "Are you Patrick Stewart?".  He said he was and reached out his hand to shake mine...and I introduced myself!  How nice! :)  I didn't want to bother him, so I didn't say anything else so he could continue reading his newspaper.  Towards the end of the flight when he was done...I asked him if Melbourne was his last stop and we started talking.  He mentioned that he was only in Melbourne a day to speak at a convention and leaving back to Sydney the next day...then flying out again (I think to London or LA? forgot now...he travels alot!).  We talked the rest of the flight until we landed (about his travelling, he gave suggestions on where to go, I told him I was there for business, that I wanted to look for swing dancing places while I was there, etc).  He is such a nice and pleasant man to talk to!  I really liked him before from Star Trek and X-Men...but now after meeting him in person, I ABSOLUTELY ADORE him.  So friendly!!

I found out during our conversation he also flew in from LA...so I said I did too!  He said he remembered me...I think probably because we were both in the lounge in LA and I probably drew attention to myself when I was zipping and unzipping my bags to get my stuff out to brush my teeth/wash my face, etc.  My co-worker Michael said he noticed Patrick in the lounge in LA, but didn't realize that was him until we got to Sydney.  When we got to Sydney, Michael saw his face and pointed him out to me.  Michael said Patrick sat across from us apparently when we were in the lounge in LA...so would make sense that he would notice an Asian girl being all loud...hahaha...I'll do whatever it takes to get a celebrity to notice me!!! :P 

Michael and I got to the hotel late morning and since we couldn't check in yet, we went walking around the CBD (Central Business District - that's where our client is located) and got some lunch.  We are really close to Chinatown and there are so many Asian restaurants here...I am loving that I can get rice everywhere...hehehe!!!  And it's a plus that Michael loves Asian food!!!  After we got checked into the hotel and cleaned up...we went apartment hunting.  We looked at about 8-9 places that were within walking distance from our client and finally found one that we both agreed on....though it's not within our budget (but the budget was too low to begin with).  We are moving into the apartment today and I can finally start to get settled.  Hopefully, we won't have to move out later...though we might if they find us a cheaper place.

On Saturday, Michael and I met up for lunch and then walked around the CBD some more.  We did some shopping and WOW...everything is SOOOOOO expensive here!!  I went into some shops and really liked some of the clothes...but there's no way I can pay several hundred dollars and upwards for one piece of clothing!!!  Even at 75% off, some of the stuff was still over $100!  We went into our client's department store and everything in there was expensive as well...I could only 'window shop'. :)  The food is also really expensive..it's almost double the prices of what I am use to in Atlanta.  I'm wondering how the Aussies can afford to live here?!??!  Their salary must be really high or I'm shopping and eating at all the whole places!

After walking around for a few hours, we went back to the hotel and I crashed till about 8pm....completely missed dinner and then went to bed a couple hours later....but I feel refreshed today and ready to move into my new apartment!!! :)

Comments

1

WOW! What an exciting trip. I thought maybe you were going to tell us that you were going to be the next Mrs. Patrick Stewart! Hee-hee. I'm glad you are there safely and all settled in. Looks like you'll have to ask TSS for a raise so you can live the lifestyle that you are so accustomed to while you are in Australia :-)
W

  Wende Lynn Feb 2, 2010 1:23 AM

2

Just letting you know that I am reading the blog!

  Tom Feb 2, 2010 2:16 AM

3

Good luck with moving!

  Candance Feb 2, 2010 4:35 AM

4

@Wendy - Hehehe...even with a raise, I'm not sure I can live my lifestyle here!! :) I miss my car!!

@Tom - There will be a quiz!

@Candance - Thanks girl! Miss you!

  muoy Feb 3, 2010 9:59 PM

5

Hey Kiddo, off globe-trotting again I see....well good luck and get some beach time for me:)

  Wayne Feb 4, 2010 5:05 AM

6

I hope you find some more affordable stores!! Make sure to meet lots of locals!! They'll be able to tell you where the "normal" people shop and live. I am sure you're probably just in a business district. That's like living in Phipps Plaza...most of the stores are going out of business because they're soo expensive!

Glad you're having a blast!

  only1kakia Feb 5, 2010 5:39 AM

7

@Wayne - Thanks...I need to get in shape first before I can go to the beach..everyone here is in such good shape!

@Kakia - Yeah...I totally hear ya! I need to get outside this area and see what other prices are like. Even at the grocery store, I'm paying like $1 for a bottle of water when I can get it in the US for 17 cents! :)

  muoy Feb 5, 2010 6:29 AM

8

That's very cool.. I would have ask John Luke Picard to announce:
"Set coordinates to Melbourne at Warp 4."
Then as the plane is about to accelerate for take off.
"Make it so!"

:)

  Daniel Feb 6, 2010 8:07 PM

9

Hehehe...funny...I'm sure he hears the "make it so!" alot! :)

  muoy Feb 6, 2010 10:03 PM

10

Need more updates.

  Robert Feb 10, 2010 7:28 AM

11

Ok - I made a post today!!! :)

  muoy Feb 10, 2010 11:20 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.