Existing Member?

Enjoying Life....

Another city...more shopping!!

CHINA | Friday, 31 July 2009 | Views [537] | Comments [4]

Ugh...it rained all day yesterday.  It rained when I left Shenzhen and it rained when I got to Shanghai.  The flight was slightly delayed, but I got a chance to chat with a gentleman (Marty) who lives in Shanghai.  He saw my US passport and started chatting with me in English.  Turns out Marty is from Austrailia and he relocated to Shanghai to start a business selling Austrailian real estate to Chinese investors.  I assume business is pretty good if he is still here.  He offered to show me around Shanghai, so I may try to meet up with him if Tom will be busy with work.  For those reading this, don't get any ideas about me hooking up with Marty...he's definitely not my type and too old for me!!!  :)

Tom's driver and secretary met me at the airport and it took us almost 2 hours with the heavy rain (the streets were almost flooded) and traffic to get to Xujiahui where Tom has a corporate apartment.  Tom was still at work but his wife (Tracy) was at home...she had flown in the night before from Hong Kong where they have a permanent residence.  Tracy and I just hung out at the apartment until Tom got home from work.  Tom and Tracy are originally from the US, so they both speak English and they have a 15 year old son who is still in Hong Kong (he'll be coming to Shanghai next week).  They moved to Asia 15 years ago for Tom's job and he now works for Covidien as vice president in charge of greater China and Hong Kong.  They both seem to love living in Asia!  After visiting here, I'm not sure I'd be able to live here long-term...great for visiting, but the US is still better for me! :)

We went out and had Macau food for dinner when Tom got home.  I had goose for the first time...it tasted just like duck...so not everything tastes like chicken! :) It was pretty good, but some of the other dishes weren't as good.  They ordered a dish with fish heads and it just tasted so blubbery I couldn't eat much of it.  Tom said I wasn't Chinese if I don't know how to eat fish heads...ewwwww!!!  After dinner, Tracy and I walked around the neighborhood and did some shopping.  The area where Tom lives is really nice...lots of shopping and restaurants nearby...but also expensive!!!  Tom said that there are some Hong Kong actors that live in his building, but I don't know any of those actors...so I guess it doesn't do me much good! :)

Tracy and I bummed around the apartment this morning and we're leaving to go shopping in a little bit.  She plays the Hong Kong stock market...so I told her to take her time and I'll just relax.  I think when I get to Beijing, I'm just going to spend a day or two chilling at a park or coffee shop.  I've been on the go since I got here, so this downtime is good!!!  Helen has already planned two tours in Beijing for us when she gets in, so I know I'll be exhausted then!

Comments

1

Look at Marty go.....

  Robert Aug 1, 2009 3:36 AM

2

Ha...Marty isn't going anywhere...we exchanged some text messages and I'm getting the sense he's wanting more than just friendship...so no hanging out with him...rather not get myself into that situation... :P

  muoy Aug 3, 2009 9:43 AM

3

Send me Marty's #. I would like to have some words with him :@

  Hubby Aug 3, 2009 9:40 PM

4

Hubby - Don't be a hater...be a lover!!!

  muoy Aug 3, 2009 11:40 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.