Existing Member?

Enjoying Life....

The food just keeps on getting better...

CHINA | Tuesday, 28 July 2009 | Views [605] | Comments [3]

This sign is funny....

This sign is funny....

We didn't do too much yesterday...most of the day was spent shopping, getting a manicure, and eating lots of food!!! :)  We needed a relaxing day since we'd been on road trips everyday since Mimi and her mom picked me up.  Mimi's mom has two assistants in Xi'an, so we hung out with them as well.  I didn't have much luck shopping...the style of clothes here are not my type!  I'm hoping Hong Kong will be better, but I hear it's just as expensive as the US.  Also, Mimi told me they no longer sell the fake purses in Hong Kong...it's been banned!!!  We are going over to Hong Kong tomorrow and I'm meeting up with Wendy and Patrick (from the volunteer house)...I hope I find something to buy!

Showing off our nails (Mimi, Karen, and me)

We flew to Shenzhen this morning and got in around lunchtime.  Shenzhen is soooooo much nicer than Xi'an.  It's cleaner and looks more modern (but still hard to find western toilets...thank goodness for Starbucks...I love them even though I don't drink their coffee!!!). For some reason, I had this impression that Shenzhen was run-down and dirty (Kiwi - you said it was a factory town!)...but it looks like a pretty nice city in my opinion (or maybe my standards are so low now from being in other parts of Asia??!?!).  I'm staying at Mimi's house and it's a REALLY nice place.  I feel like I am at a resort...the condo is in a beautiful highrise that is gated.  There is a nice walking area for all the residents and someone is always around to man the gates and elevator.  There are also workers who are around to pick up the doggie's poop so the residents don't have to do it...that's how you know this is a really nice place!!  I've gone from rags to riches...at least till I get to the next city! :)

I'm still eating non-stop.  Mimi's mother won't stop feeding me, even when I tell her I am not hungry.  This is an Asian thing...always feeding other people.  :)  We had 8 entrees for the 3 of us today during lunch...and we finished most of it!!!  We had Cantonese food and the place we went to was fabulous!  At this restaurant, they have all the fresh seafood and entrees out for you to select (that way, you know what you are getting!).  Once you select it, they will cook it fresh for you and bring it to your table.  There were rows and rows of food...I wish I could've tried them all...but I guess 8 entrees was enough this time around!  For dinner, we had Hunan food.  Oh my gosh, everything was cooked with chilis!!!  Now I know why they have a reputation for being spicy!  My favorite dish was seasoned fried boiled eggs with chilis and onions.  I'm going to have to try this at home and see if I can make something similar.  Luckily, we only had 4 entrees tonight...but we did eat at a mango dessert place before dinner...so I was already full when I went to dinner!

Rows and rows of food to choose from....

Internet connection here is really really slow...so I'm going to stop and head to bed now...no pictures since it will take forever to upload.... :(

Comments

1

No fake purses in HK? Ha!!!

send yo-yo an email. I am sure she has a number you can call. Do your jeans still fit?

  hubby Jul 29, 2009 3:55 AM

2

i'm with the nigerian guy. no fake purses in hk? HA!!! well i can tell you, if you have a hard time finding it in hk, have no worries, there are plenty to be found, out blatantly in the open in beijing - you can go to silk market or yashow market and find all you want. i went to yashow and got two custom tailored suits - so cheap!!!! and also picked up an *cough* OMEGA watch.

i think we need to all prepare our eyes for your return. and you thought 15lbs from europe was a lot??? HA!!!

well what i know of shenzhen is only from what friends/co-workers told me. remember, robert was considering sending me to shenzhen in the very beginning? it's landlocked (like atl) so it really started off as a factory town... but i guess with a population of 8mil, it's no town to write off! How's the air been? Did you know 16 of the world's 20 most air-polluted cities are in china???

FOOD PICS!!!

  KSPimp Jul 29, 2009 4:27 AM

3

Hubby...who is yo-yo? Are you IM cheating on me again?!?! Jeans still fit for now...Mimi has a scale, so I'm going to weight myself...but I'm scared to see the weight!!!

Kiwi...Happy now?!?!? I uploaded the food pics! The air hasn't been bad...I don't really notice it or maybe I just haven't been paying attention. I should find pics of some nice chinese dresses and have them custom made for me when I in Beijing...that would be so awesome...though, if I put on weight...maybe not such a good idea! :P

  muoy Jul 29, 2009 10:54 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.