Existing Member?

Ecua-Fabulous

Words I Will Likely Eat Later

ECUADOR | Saturday, 5 April 2008 | Views [543]

Good Friday procession

Good Friday procession

I received numerous materials before my departure about the difficult process of adjusting to a new culture – “this is different, that is really different, you’ll probably make this mistake, you’ll definitely interpret that wrong . . .” I think it is a combination of my idealist belief in the power of the universality of humanity (which leads to some naïveté), and my very un-detail-oriented mind (which leads to a certain lack of observation), but culture shock was not a eminent concern of mine before I left, and it remains that way now that I am here. For now, I think the lack of “shock” I have experienced has most everything to do with the fact that I have been fortunate enough to travel before, which, besides having given me some idea of what it feels like to be a foreigner, has also reinforced my belief that US culture is far, very far, from ideal or superior. I believe it is clear that this sort of arrogance and lack of exposure, which go hand in hand, are main contributors to “culture shock.”
Additionally, I find myself frequently comparing my experience here in Ecuador to the one I had previously in Nepal and India (my longest stint abroad). In the end, it always seems to come down to the fact that South Asia was a lot more extreme. The poverty, the religious differences, the color schemes, the language barrier, the pollution . . . And having had Nepal as my first solo travel, and my first true immersion experience, has made the transition to Ecuador much easier than I imagine it would be had I not tried to do something like this before. I am not shocked by things that would seem odd or novel were this my first time in a developing country. Chickens on buses and indigenous dress and sidewalks with more holes than not and transportation systems that require vigilance and physical effort and unidentifiable food and the prominence of bargaining and the constant stares at my white skin – all of these things seem familiar, I guess, in a way.

Then again, there are many reasons why the previous statements are presumptuous and naïve. To begin with, I have only been here one month, and it has been a very comfortable one at that. Secondly, I will be here for much longer than I have tried to be anywhere even slightly different. Even at college on the east coast I noticed cultural differences that I was happy to leave after only five months or less there. So I imagine my one month of comfort in the orientation bubble is not the best indication of the ease at which I will deal with living abroad for a year.

 

 

Travel Answers about Ecuador

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.