Existing Member?

The Journey is the Destination

Zimbabwe

ZIMBABWE | Monday, 5 March 2007 | Views [557] | Comments [3]

Well here I am once more, braving the wilds of african internet. Mainly it requires great patience.

We made it through Mozambique just fine, we were too far inland to be affected by the cyclone, although we did see an amazing lighting show that night - camped out in the middle of nowhere, cooking pasta and watching the storm all around us.

After just a night in Mozambique we drove into Zimbabwe, where we've been for the last 10 days. Zimbabwe is an interesting country; it seems to have a lot of different sides to it, contradictions...

I do love it though, the scenery is beautiful and the people are really nice, if a little sad and worn down with all the political, economic and other troubles they're having.

Things I have been up to in Zim: Walking with lions (cubs raised in captivity) Riding elephants, swimming on elephants (sillier than it sounds, even), baking chocolate cakes without a recipe, tracking rhinos in Matopos national park, feeding biscuits to giant lizards, learning to play the bongo, changing money on the black market, sneaking into victoria falls after dark to see the lunar rainbow, dancing, eating local foods and tourist foods and trying to stay amused while we are stuck at victoria falls, waiting for our driver to recover from malaria...

Only 2 weeks left! We are on our way to Botswana tomorrow.

Tags: Culture

Comments

1

I knew you would ride an elephant in the nude!!!! Ark! Ark!

Holy Moly Bat girl you are something wild!!!!!

Everything sounds so incredible-can't wait to read the book!!!

Hey, will you work for me for 3 weeks in June???

Love,
Tumbleweed

  Ellie May Tumbleweed Mar 7, 2007 3:55 AM

2

Hi Melissa and Sean, you are having truly amazing adventures and I am enjoying reading about them and having a vicarious thrill!
I like your writing like for example [swimming on elephants; sillier than it sounds, even.] I love it.
so proud of you young folk for getting out there in the world and making it your own. Wonderful visit with cuz Greg and Anna, too I bet.See you at the wedding!

  Aunt Barb Mar 10, 2007 6:42 PM

3

You're almost home! It still sounds fantastic and I CAN'T wait to hear more about it and see your pictures. Love you, Melly! Hope the remainder of your trip is just as awesome.

Nat

  Nat Mar 15, 2007 5:12 AM

About mtownsend


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Zimbabwe

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.