Existing Member?

Andy's Travel Updates "The real thing is not reaching, the real thing is the journey, the very travelling. If you are too bothered about the goal you will miss the journey, and the journey is life - the goal can only be death."

Stage 5: From Girona to Copenhagen

SPAIN | Friday, 24 October 2014 | Views [223]

Cycling around the edge of Barcelona I was glad it was a Sunday and the traffic wasn't bad. I realised Sunday was a good day to go through busy areas, especially in Spain.

The third day was as good as it gets and I was elated. The sun came out but it wasn't hot. The road surfaces were mostly good, there were very few cars and the views were great. I dropped my bags at the hotel and cycled another 20kms to a lookout. On the way I was stopped by a roadblock but I couldn't understand why – the policemen tried to explain but my Spanish wasn't good enough. Eventually I heard a car rev and peel out further up the road and knew it was something car related. It was the VW rally team testing their car in preparation for a race. After about 20 minutes the road reopened but I had to stop again up the road and had a good chat to a couple of the team members.

Two days later I stopped in a bakery for a quick resupply. The baker's husband – a retired man – started a conversation so I sat and spoke to him for half an hour in Spanish. I told him what I was doing (which he excitedly relayed to any customers who came in) and he told me all about the town and the region of Spain.

I came to a warm part of Spain with temperatures in the mid 30s. I learnt to take a nice 2 hour break at lunch – usually at a restaurant in a small town that are popular for simple 3 course meals. It was hard to find dinner earlier than 9pm so I had to adjust to the local routine.

On the third particularly warm day I very nearly cut the day short, thinking it is too hot. I actually started down a road to closer hotel for about 100m then remembered that I still regret that type of decision from 4 years ago. And it paid off: the day ended with a lovely descent to a series of waterfalls. The temperature dropped very quickly as I approached it so if felt just like an oasis after 3 very hot days. I cycled alongside waterfalls and lakes for the last 10 kilometres of the day with plenty of breaks for photos.

The next day nearly started out very badly as I left my wallet and credit card on the hotel counter... luckily the receptionist ran it out to me before I cycled off. I enjoyed a good tailwind and covered good ground. It made for one of the most enjoyable days. I was thinking about trying a 200km day and feeling like I didn't want the cycling to end. However the heat returned and made a medium sized climb particularly hard that afternoon. It took me a full hour and it was the first time I ran out of water. I got very strange looks at the small convenience store where I bought several litres of various drinks and sat on the ground outside drinking them.

After a recovery day I had another tough ride with 15-20kms of rough trails. It took a lot of effort to stay upright and was stressful. It was a relief to reach the outskirts of Granada. Mentally I was a bit switched off and didn't see a tram line where I slipped and fell. I was able to bandage my knee and get back on my bike. It would be a full 2 months (and several trips to the doctor) before my knee recovered from a staph infection.

About mrandrew

Selfie by the river

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Spain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.