Existing Member?

Andy's Travel Updates "The real thing is not reaching, the real thing is the journey, the very travelling. If you are too bothered about the goal you will miss the journey, and the journey is life - the goal can only be death."

Day 1 - cycling from Copenhagen

DENMARK | Sunday, 10 August 2014 | Views [368]

Day 1 - rest stop while the sun was out.

Day 1 - rest stop while the sun was out.

I can't wait to get on the road. There is a severe weather warning (strong winds and thunderstorms) and I have a sore throat. I'm not sure if it's a cold or jet-lag (I arrived from Australia yesterday). The thought of delaying 1 day crosses my mind but I decide to risk it. 

I'm cycling 70kms from Copenhagen down the East coast of Denmark. The forecast is for a 30km headwind to pick up mid-morning and thunderstorms from lunchtime. So I get up at 5 to try avoid the worst of it. I'm a bit slow to get out of the hotel (being my first pack (and also leave 1 sock behind)). The first 2 hours are easy riding out of Copenhagen and it feels great.

The wind picks up about 9 exactly as forecast and in places is intense. I'm glad to have smaller panniers (I think back to a day last trip when strong wind forced me to have a rest day because it could push me to the middle of the road). In some places it is actually easier to cycle up a hill where it is protected from wind - most peculiarly I'm dropping down a gear when I get to the top of a hill!

I feel a bit groggy at times but not sick - I think it was jet lag. By the last 10kms my legs are feeling it.

I get through the day without mechanical or navigational incident and arrive at lunch time. The rain starts within 2 seconds (that's not an exaggeration) of reaching my hotel. 

In all, day 1 went very well!

About mrandrew

Selfie by the river

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Denmark

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.