Existing Member?

Wondering and Wandering I graduated. Now what? Do I live the life I never wanted to live? The one where I move to the city, get a job in a corporate cubicle, and slave away 60 hours a week for $40,000 a year? No thanks. How about 5 years down the road when I settle on a girl I don't truly love, buy the car I don't need, have the marriage that won't last, buy the home I can't afford? No thanks. I want to see things, I want to experience life in every way. This is the only life I've got, I might as well make the most of it and do something I won't foget. So here I am, travelling the world one step at a time. Where I'm going is yet to be decided, how long I'm there is up in the air, but one thing's for sure. Whatever I do, where ever I go, I'm going to be living. You can count on that.

Life as an Aupair

UNITED KINGDOM | Thursday, 22 February 2007 | Views [1933] | Comments [10]

Wow, yeah thats about it. I'm taking care of some wonderful kids who are definately a handful. It's going to be an interesting couple of months. I spend most of my time chopping firewood, doing dishes, cleaning up, and general house chores and projects. I am quite content with that. I spend about 4 hours a day somewhat alone with the children playing with them and teaching them fun things like making paper airplanes, finger puppets, dancing (yes I dance to little kid songs), and generally having a good time. We are eating completely vegan meals. The kids have some pretty serious allergies so we have to be careful what we eat. It's definately a diet change but I may end up being more healthy this way. No dairy products, no wheat products, few fruits etc. There are quite a few things they can't have. They don't use normal medicine, its all about homeopathy. It's a hippy house and I love it. I think I will actually be staying here. Music is a must, daily. Movies are a treat, TV doesn't exist really. The kids get up early, I get up around 8:30. The kids go to sleep around 7 and the adults stay up til midnight. We sit around, drink, talk, listen to music, read, watch movies. I will post pictures soon, I just dont feel like it right now, so there. Hope everyone has been doing well. Much love to you all.

Tags: Work

Comments

1

Yea Alex!!! Sounds wonderful.Can't wait for pictures. I am sure you are already acquiring the necessary "eyes in the back of you head" with those two munchkins.
With love and admiration for your adventurous spirit, GM

  Grandmother Feb 22, 2007 6:28 AM

2

Sounds wonderful and exciting. This is one way to get fit. Want to see photos of the little cuties soon. Remember to dance to "Benny the Magic Bunny" when you can. Love, Mom.

  Diana Feb 22, 2007 7:00 AM

3

Sounds wonderful and exciting. This is one way to get fit. Want to see photos of the little cuties soon. Remember to dance to "Benny the Magic Bunny" when you can. Love, Mom.

  Diana Feb 22, 2007 7:19 AM

4

Told you so. You're a natural. And could we please have video of you dancing to Benny the Magic Bunny?

Love,
J

P.S. When you have your days off can you go somewhere and have a steak?

  Jackie Feb 22, 2007 7:26 AM

5

I agree with Jackie, you need your protein! As much as I love hippies, and may be a bit of one myself (a small bit), complete veganism seems too radical for a true healthy diet. Don't forget to throw in some dairy and stuff now and then. You're still a growing boy. ;). Miss you, can't wait for pics.

  Jessica Feb 22, 2007 3:42 PM

6

Dancing, huh? What if the Hokey-Pokey IS what it's all about? Do you want me to send you some Brave Combo so you can teach them the chicken dance? It is best to do it with drunk nuns. Are there any in your neighborhood? Please advise, and I will try to send them, as well. Vegan? That's so Sophie and so yuk. Does Herd Burgers deliver?

  dramachacha Feb 23, 2007 4:15 AM

7

So it's England, childcare, and life with COMMITTED vegans who'd probably never be seduced by the pleasures of Chili Rellenos! I'm so glad to know you're okay, especially after reading all your postings here. I'm sorry I've been out of touch, but my PC spun, crashed, and burned when the broadband went in, and I've spent over two weeks taking it apart and putting it back together, though it still needs some tweaking.

I packed Ed off to Madrid for nine days--he had a great time, stayed in a wonderful, inexpensive hostel (€10 per night + breakfast), and he highly recommends it to you.

We've both been worried about you, and we feared you'd have a hard slog when you left Listowel. The auld Cead Mile Failte just ain't what it used to be. But you know you're welcome back here anytime, and your stuff is save and sound.

While Ed was in Madrid, Wolfie found a half-starved, long-haired Calico kitten, so now we've added a cat to the menagerie. Her name's Fidelma, natch. BTW, Wolfie was so sad to see you go . . .

Please stay in touch! I'm gonna be busy from March 7 - 19 while my daughter's here--hurray!, but I'll still be checking in more often. You really do have a second home here, so at least you know there's one place in Yurp you can flee to.

Take care, be well, and hang in there1

All the best,

Caitlin

  Caitlin Feb 23, 2007 10:39 AM

8

My man,

Do you realize what a commodity you are? You're a young guy taking care of two cute kids, you're on an adventure in a foreign land, you have good teeth. The first two are money, the last is money-money in England. Do not abuse these powers my friend and use them for "good" and not for evil.

I'm glad you're settling into somewhat of a routine. Those kids couldn't do much better and I know you'll wait till they get a little older before you teach them the fart under the armpit thing. If you're posts get shorter and shorter because "you don't feel like it" I'll tell you to cut down on smoking-out with the hippies. Sorry to hear about your camera. Eat protein, go hunt a hedgehog.

It's good to hear that most of your encounters have been with very friendly folks and that people are treating you well. You are our ambassador from Texas - God knows they have a preconceived notion of what Texans are like......so keep up the good work at changing the stereotypes.

Way to make it a month!!!!!

peace in the middle

  Rob Feb 24, 2007 1:19 AM

9

Hey! It sounds like you are having a superb time. Sorry it has taken me so long to comment, things are hectic here, I guess. Anyway, we all really miss you and I'm very proud of you. I'm also a little jealous. I want to be an Aupair!

  katie Feb 28, 2007 5:30 AM

10

Alex, my man, how are you. We just learned to operate this contraption. Hope you got your birthday card or for sure what was in it. Your scripts sound like you are having a wonderful time. We are envious. Pop and I have been talking about coming to England, but knowing us it might take us a couple of years to get there. Later,
Pop and Nana

  Donald and Bonnie Elrod May 30, 2007 7:46 AM

About mradventure


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.