Existing Member?

Wondering and Wandering I graduated. Now what? Do I live the life I never wanted to live? The one where I move to the city, get a job in a corporate cubicle, and slave away 60 hours a week for $40,000 a year? No thanks. How about 5 years down the road when I settle on a girl I don't truly love, buy the car I don't need, have the marriage that won't last, buy the home I can't afford? No thanks. I want to see things, I want to experience life in every way. This is the only life I've got, I might as well make the most of it and do something I won't foget. So here I am, travelling the world one step at a time. Where I'm going is yet to be decided, how long I'm there is up in the air, but one thing's for sure. Whatever I do, where ever I go, I'm going to be living. You can count on that.

I forget what day I'm on

IRELAND | Wednesday, 24 January 2007 | Views [698] | Comments [5]

Believe it or not, Ireland is not the happy-go-lucky place some might think it is. It's a sad place really, full of people either looking to survive or take advantage of others. It's rare to find a person who is completely content. I guess it's a bit like the US. Here is a suggestion to people who want to travel on their own, take a tour group with a guide and a bus. It's almost near impossible to walk on the roads without getting hit. Not saying I have but it's a common occurance seeing how people are horrid drivers and there is no hard shoulder in the country. I'm going to have a bit of trouble I think getting around this country without taking the bus, so I think I will be taking the bus from now on. It might cost me a little bit of money but its better than dying. Last night was a bit of an interesting evening. Ed and I walked down to the local IRA bar to have a few drinks. There happened to be a few gentlemen down there in suits. Their cover was a funeral, I happen to think otherwise since the occasion wasn't quite somber. We moved on from there after having our drinks to the Harp and Lion, nice bar but quite small, smaller than Sidebar in Denton for those that frequent Fry St. At least they had a fireplace. There is this chill that enters your body when you land in Ireland. It's not the kind of chill that happens when you get a bit of a cool wind on the back of your neck, it's not the kind of chill you get when jump into a pool on a cool summers day, it's the kind of cold that enters your body and heads straight to your bones to lodge itself there permanantly, or at least until you leave this island. I have discovered that no amount of blankets, clothing, or heat can provide the kind of warmth that a shot of whisky can. No wonder the people here drink as often as they do. It's all coming together now. Ed is definately and intersting man with a lot of insight to offer. He's seen a lot and can teach you things about life that most don't even understand. Caitlin reminds me of Deb Shaw. It's as if Deb Shaw is hosting me. It's grand. Caitlin is incredibly intelligent, especially when it comes to Irish history, and she's not even Irish! I have no idea where I am going tomorrow but it is definately time for me to be on my way. There is the option of walking the western coast with the Norweigan girl but thats not until the second of Feb. so I'm not sure where I will head from here, probably towards the Dingle peninsula or maybe I will do the ring of Kerry. One of the most beautiful places in all of Ireland. The Guarda has approved me for 3 months so I should be fine and dandy. I think today I will work on reducing my bag weight, I know I keep saying this but I think this time I will actually do it. I can always come back here and pick up a few things since Ed and Caitlin offered to put some things away for me. I still think I need to keep all the things I have but I know I don't, there has to be a few things I can do without. I've already stripped down to the bare minimum, or the bare minimum in my book at least. I'm definately feeling much better so that's positive. I'm full of random thoughts right now so I will work on organizing them and come back later. I forgot to bring my photo cable so I will come back later today and upload a few pictures.

Alex

Tags: Philosophy of travel

Comments

1

"It's rare to find a person who is completely content." A pearl of wisdom.

When next at the library pull down the Tao Te Ching by Lao-tzu and glance at section 8 and 44. Although you are trying to lighten your load, it is a slim tome (~78 pages)you might find it a good traveling companion for quiet introspection. If you want it I will figure out a way to get you a copy (better you spend your euros on whiskey and buses).

The offer to cache at Ed and Caitlan's has merit - it would allow you to test what it is you really need without having to deal with the consequence of having to reacquire if you get it wrong.

Stay Safe

  Old Wizened Goat Jan 25, 2007 12:51 AM

2

I'm proud of you, Alex. You are on a real adventure, not a talk-about-it-until-you're-too-old-to-do-it adventure. And, you know how you can tell? Everything is not shiny and glossed over and buffed up and fake. People are real, how about that? And that means unhappy and frustrated and driving badly.

As Bailey would say, "Turn on your recorder." Even the gritty, real stuff makes good memories. I look forward to more reports and, of course, photos. Take care and here's to your health, my friend.

I will send your mom some cash to put in the bank as my graduation gift to you, since I missed that whole shindig. Stay safe. I bet that Norwegian girl could warm up your bones.

  dramachacha Jan 25, 2007 8:56 AM

3

Hey Alex, good journal entries. I feel like I'm there with you. And I am with you in spirit. I want photos! I hope you have one of Caitlin and Ed.

Life goes on here as usual. One of the new guys wears a khaki-colored cap. I walked out into the lab today & thought he was you sitting at the check-in desk. Started to say something smart & sassy to you & he looked up. Oops. Glad I didn't say it.

>insert your own words of wisdom here. i don't have any : { <

Just take care of yourself and enjoy your experiences.

  Jackie Jan 25, 2007 11:30 AM

4

Hey Boy'O,
Maybe you've had enough of that part of Ireland and should check out your ancestors (Gaernon). Yes you should definitely watch out for those cars, you'd leave such a dent. As you see, life is life in all places. Keep on seeing "it" and continue to take care of yourself. Me PAW U [Me Prayers Are With You].
I love you a lot,
Dad

  Dad Jan 25, 2007 11:56 AM

5

Hey, did you know that there is enough sand in the Sahara to cover all of North Africa?

My roommate can sometimes be funny.
Talk to lots of people, hear lots of stories, drink lots of Irish drink, and if you leave stuff behind, make sure you're taking great memories in return.
Miss you tons, thinking of you.
Jess

  Jessica Jan 25, 2007 5:20 PM

About mradventure


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Ireland

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.