Existing Member?

Bhutan Cultural Visit

First full day...WOW!

BHUTAN | Saturday, 23 March 2013 | Views [496] | Comments [1]

I had seen photos and thought, "gee, it has similar terrain as Colorado, shouldn't be that different". Well, there are people here, and vehicles, and mountains. But that's were the similarities end.  They drive on the other side of the road, and Good God! it's not for the faint of heart. Very narrow roads of which cars come within inches of one another while passing. One dirt road up to an ancient monestary passes by farms nestled along the steep hillside. This road was for 4 wheel drive.  Not many tourists go up to this monestary so I had the honor of actually entering inside. Amazing!

How they build roads here is very primative. Laborers come up from India and hand build the roads. That means the only heavy equipment used was a  roller used after

all the rocks and boulders are broken down with pick axes.   Very hard labor...like chain gangs without the chains.

Paro is a small city with the airport. So much of it is undeveloped.  That is a good thing, I guess.  A visitor can see how the people live. Very poor by American standards. Much of the land is used for agriculture. Winter wheat, then rice paddies during summer monsoon season.  But there is a peacefulness to it.  The flapping of prayer flags in the wind, the chatter of the townsfolk, the serenity of their deep faith.  I feel like I have experienced more in just one day, than a whole lifetime.  This is unlike any place I have ever been.  I can only imagine what it will be like when we explore outside of the city.

it's been a long day. Dinner soon, then will relax and go to bed.  Maybe I will wake up tomorrow and find this was just a dream.

Tags: bhutan, first day, paro

Comments

1

It does not surprise me the peacefulness and amazement you are experiencing, what other option you have?... you are in paradise!!! What is surprising is that you are not the only person I have heard (us included) that have to go so far away and almost back in time to the "simpler" time to really apreciate the beauty and simplicity of life... it feels good, isn't it??? Don't unplug too much because we are enjoying all your stories :)

  Laura Jasiewicz Mar 24, 2013 1:29 AM

About mountaingirl0602

Punnakha Dzong

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Bhutan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.