Existing Member?

Family Travels Notes on the Morter family 4 and our travels around Europe and Morocco!

Ooooh Baby, Barcelona!

SPAIN | Monday, 22 September 2008 | Views [688]

Senoritas Miki & Sienna their foray into Flamenco (or Flamango as they term it)

Senoritas Miki & Sienna their foray into Flamenco (or Flamango as they term it)

We signed off on San Sebastian at one of the city’s most expensive restaurants on the beach which was just divine (my choice and b’s blood pressure suffered).  The set lunch menu suited us, and believe it or not, they have a small playground hidden away.  We have to sort this out in Melbourne, it’s so wonderful for adults wanting to drink and dine

The train to Barcelona ended up taking 8 hours instead of 6, due to my miscalculation in time. I always think that 19.00 is 5pm when of course it’s 7pm!  B not too happy and didn’t enjoy the rattly old train trip, made worse when I said we were nearly there at 4.30!  All girls were fine and I say gratitude every day for the portable dvd player – best invention ever!  The last part of trip followed the coast and actually seemed like train was in the mediteranean so that part was great.  I hope my wonderful travel planning isn’t going downhill now.

B was in the town for about 2 hours when he said we’re moving here.  Best city he’s seen apparently.  It is full of life, action and fun.  But that may be due to the fact that we’ve accidentally arrived on fri night of Barcelona’s annual 3 day festival.  The place is PACKED and there’s a million things happening.  We’ve had live bands, fireworks, a variety of street performers and people to dodge like bullets everywhere.

Our apartment is in a fantastic location.  2nd floor up of old building just off La Rambla which is the famous boulevard in Barcelona which is always packed with people and street performers, restaurants and general action. Our terrace off the back looks into the back of Gaudi’s palace which is an amazing building and into the back of the famous flamenco club, so we even hear flamenco and see dancers on the back terrace practicing and taking a break.  Very Spanish and very exciting.  First thing we bought were flamenco dresses and flower for hair for the girls.  Needless to say they wear them out at night (you can imagine the comments) and want to wear them to bed etc. Have been teaching them the moves and they’re hilarious trying to look dramatic! They call it "Flamango" Bless them.  We are booked in for the show Wed night and they can’t wait.  Let someone less experienced show them some moves (ha ha ha ha). Have had seafood paella twice now and are loving it for a good, all round reasonably priced meal.  Of course the girls pick all the seafood out before it hits my mouth but that’s ok.   We did have one funny moment when Sienna picked up my really little water bottle for a drink of water at the table and spat it out.  It was full of vodka!  We are naughty and take our own drinks to add to mixers like true cheapsters.  Woops I hope social services aren’t reading.

This dense living has it’s dramas I have to say.  Little cockroaches in the kitchen and sometimes a rotten dirty water smell. I’m loving that. Our apartment has been renovated and has all these new-fangled appliances in it which take us hours to work out which is very frustrating but location is good. 

We had planned to only be here 4 nights and go to the beach for 5 nights but have cancelled that idea.  We feel time will be better spent here where there is so much to see.  We saw the coast towns and resorts on the train and believe that we’ll be better off in town.  You could spend 6 months here and not see everything.  Luckily there was another apartment available not far away at a late minute discounted price, so we’re not homeless yet.

The girls always have a problem leaving our apartments when we first move in.  They like to set up their beds and toys and play using their new space.  We had to drag them by their hair, holding their doggies as bait to get them out the first night and their eyes nearly bugged out of their little blonde heads.  There were soooo many different street performers doing different and unusual things.  Obviously there were all terribly frightening but yet interesting.  They decided that I, not their father, was the best protector so for nearly 2 days I had to hold both hands with them clawing me and shrieking if I walked too close to some of the more scary ones.  Daddy had a wonderful rambling time looking around, but I was in a constant state of being mauled.  They are getting more game now as they have seen many of the performers a few times and mummy and dad have put money in their tin and come out still alive.

There are a couple in particular.  Picture a green faced, grim reaper ready to chop off your head.  Mummy put money in his tin and he grabbed me and put his sickle/sword around my neck.  Of course I played dead and daddy got a photo.  Then there is their favourite, the black head with dreadlocks and one hand in a box.  If you get close his head shoots out and he screams.  They are fascinated by him and I put money into his box and his head nearly bit my leg running away.  They were squealing behind daddy’s leg, loving it.  I squealed too!  He’s scary.  Needless to say we’ve spent too much budget paying street performers.

Brendan and I are breaking our necks to go on long uncomplicated walks and take in everything and the girls are starting to complain a bit.  We’ve thought about seeing our nearby hotel for some child minding but when we mention doing this, they won’t hear of it and say they love going out. Going out only to playgrounds, restaurants, icecream shops and the street performers though!

Went to Gaudi’s Guell Park today and it was great. 1.5 km walk to get there though and after a couple of hours walking within the park, the girls were touchy. Especially as they think the word “park” means “playground” and they were yet to find it!   I am sooo in love with mosaics and Brendan says I can mosaic the front fence at home!  How exciting.  It would look great, no? Gaudi is the best and I love his weird and intricate architecture which incorporates a lot of mosaic work and iron intricacies.  The weather is perfect and blue sky and about 26 degrees but quite humid.

B is sick of Spanish tv and not getting any “English” entertainment, though a very explicit porn channel comes on at midnight automatically apparently (I'm always asleep so the poor thing probably tosses and turns after for a while).  He can’t bring himself to pay the $20 for a car mag in English yet and the last book he bought in English in San Seb was a real chore for him. I’m happily reading an English OK magazine and keeping up with all the goss.  We’ve been keeping our promise of no shopping so have not bought anything fun yet, just the girl’s flamenco dresses and couple of books. Would not want to buy clothes at this rate as who knows what size.  I was up and now down again depending on menu supplied and sightseeing! 

It’s official though, the best Spanish food (which is probably actually Basque or French, not traditionally Spanish) is:     Croquettas!  With Bacalao!  (which is shredded cod).  Absolutely to die for and I shall be making them when I get back (or trying to copy) for Friday night drinks.  I’m sure they’re low fat too !  ha ha ha ha

Oh, and we have the hugest fresh food market about 50m away so when I cook, like tonight we are set (steak and mashed potatoes so not exciting).  Prawns still at $14 a kilo and steak about $18.  And still, the best peaches and nectarines.  We go through about 6 a day!

Was just about to sign off, but the girls in their flamenco dresses are playing the restaurant game.  Miki is the waitress and Sienna the entertainment ( flamenco dancer).  They are asking me to “book in and give money” and are “speaking Spanish” and talking to me like this “ mi llaamo moocho moocho, adyios, hola”.  Obviously they have no idea what the hell they are saying.  It is hilarious!  Where’s the video when you need it?  Or the operator (asleep on the couch – bless him).

xx

About morter_family


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Spain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.