Existing Member?

Family Travels Notes on the Morter family 4 and our travels around Europe and Morocco!

Munich Sights and Babbling

GERMANY | Tuesday, 26 August 2008 | Views [470] | Comments [1]

Guten tag!

Boy it’s hard being a tourist.  And you lot think it’s hard work working!.  Did a 7 hour stint yesterday with hardly a sit down at Munich’s famous castles.  It is absolutely heavenly out there in the countryside.  Everything is so lush and green and there are soooo many pretty little houses with flower boxes and murals painted on them and then you see the mountains with low cloud and then 2 of the most beautiful castles – Hohenschwangau and Neuschwantstein (what a bloomn mouthful).  They were built by the wonderfully eccentric and gay (but not ‘out’) King Ludwig II (Loui baby).  Neuschwanstein is the fairytale castle that I’m sure most of you know overlooking the lake and surrounded by mountains up on a mountain.  Breathtakingly beautiful to look up at and inside also.  Loui was certified insane after changing religion to Catholic and painting his whole castle inside with religious figures looking down on him from every angle whilst battling his desires which he deemed to be ‘wrong’.  Poor bugger.  Died before he finished his castle under suspicious circumstances in a Munich lake.  Hard to see such extravagance and know the backbreaking work that must have gone into it whilst the world around would have been poor and struggling.  We caught the bus up the huge hill to get in and ran all the way down with Miki holding her bum as she needed a poo!  And proceeded to tell everyone we passed on the way down.  The other castle was divine too.  Such elaborate furnishings, paintings and pieces etc.  I have a wonderful idea for the lounge room now – I’m going to recreate the mosaic floor I saw in the ballroom.  Can’t be that hard for someone that has shown to have some artistic talent recently. The girls were obviously right at home in the castles being the princesses that they are unfortunately.  Miki was twirling and whirling around as if she owned the joint.  Had delicious bratwurst in brot for lunch at a little stand and B and girls in fight over bits of sausage as they wouldn’t share.  B loves them but gets shocking indigestion so tries not to partake but ends up stealing!  The girls adore them too. 
The supermarket next door to where we are staying is so wonderful.  I can’t believe the freshness and deliciousness of the fruits.  We have all the stone fruits here in season – YIPEEE.  Are all thrilled and eating lots in between processed meats and cheeses to keep up some semblance of an antioxidant. 

Went to Axel’s step dad’s for a bbq feast night before last.  They went beserk and provided so much delicious food, drinks and presents for the girls, it was crazy.  Had everything from campari and juice to start, champagne, wines, grappa, bbq prawns, steak, veggies, potato salade, cheeses, all kinds breads all outside in the beautiful garden and weather. The girls were given glitter textas, a game, clips for their hair and chocolates and lollies.  In heaven they were and more so because Axel’s 12 year old step sister was there and looking after them.  They idolized her – Ann-Christine.  They wouldn’t let go of an arm each and dragged her around all day (poor thing).  When time to go, we had tantrums as they wanted a sleep over and though they said they were welcome, we had to pry their fingers off the banisters and bribe with chocolates and promises to sleep with Chrissy and Axel instead.  They are driving us nuts at night with legs and arms everwhere and someone always ends up sleeping on the floor to get away.  We are taking Ann-Chris out to the biergarten with us today for her birthday so the girls are excited.  We are in summer dresses and enjoying the sun – sucked in melbournites!  B’s off to Dachau tomorrow without us girls, to enjoy the past sufferings of others.  I’ll try and get him to write something about that.  And for all those who are nagging for photos, I’ll get to it soon – it’s not as easy as it seems!  If you’re bothering to read this blabber, it must mean I luv ya!  xxxx

Comments

1

Just thought I'd let you know someone is reading your musings and my mouth watering. all sounds wonderful. Enjoy the weather, signs of spring slowly here - freesias are out, my 2nd fave after frangipani and that always makes me feel like spring is coming. Gut is expanding, still think it's in there but not yet announced it, just waiting on some stuff over the next 10 days.Enjoy!

  Juliet Aug 26, 2008 8:09 PM

About morter_family


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Germany

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.