Existing Member?

Wanderlust This blog is mainly set up to reassure my mum that I am doing fine and am not getting myself into too much trouble. For everyone else who is interested in my travels hope you enjoy reading my brief accounts of the places I am exploring.

Trekking in the Khumbu

USA | Saturday, 31 October 2009 | Views [265] | Comments [3]

Sorry for the lack of updates, as you might imagine internet is pretty sporadic out here. We're in this small town of Namche Bazaar which is the main connecting point of the whole Everest Region. We've been out here for almost 2 weeks now. We flew into this crazy airport in the town of Lukla (try googling for a picture of it). From there we started out towards the mountains and after a week we found ourselves in this amazing town of Gokyo. We felt the altitude and had to take a few days to try and acclimate, but it is one of the most beautiful places we've ever seen. Amazing peaks and glacial lakes. Our first night there we ended up having to stay in a storage room because all the rooms were full, so we ended up sleeping with dried vegetables and curing meat. It was an interesting night to say the least. After that the town cleared up, apparently there was a marathon going on.  We hiked around this area for about three days, walking along the Ngozumpa Glacier, up Gokyo Ri and Renjo La pass, as high as 18,000ft.  The views have been incredible.  Seen Everest a number of times along with the surrounding 8000+ meter peaks.  It is stunning.  The favorite mountain by far is Ama Dablam, its unique sheer, pinnacle is unreal.  Now back in Namche Bazaar for a few days of rest and eating baked goods (it is Halloween after all).  On to more trekking after tomorrow.  Will have a better report after the 6th when we are back in Kathmandu and the internet is more reliable. 

Comments

1

sounds too cool! photos plz

  david Nov 2, 2009 10:56 AM

2

update plzzzz

  david Nov 6, 2009 12:16 PM

3

..or i'll have to come there and interview you personally

  david Nov 6, 2009 12:17 PM

About monicaraye


Where I've been

Favourites

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.