Existing Member?

Wanderlust This blog is mainly set up to reassure my mum that I am doing fine and am not getting myself into too much trouble. For everyone else who is interested in my travels hope you enjoy reading my brief accounts of the places I am exploring.

Morocco

MOROCCO | Thursday, 16 October 2008 | Views [343] | Comments [1]

Hello again everyone, i am in Meknes, Morocco.  Left Sevill three days ago and made my way via bus and boat to Africa.  Managed to get out of tangier and to Assilah for my first night.  Assilah is a small town on the coast with white washed buildings that over look the crashing waves.  It was a huge shock to get here because no matter hoz you are warned that you will be stared at you can not be prepared.  The first day I was overwhelmed, so many cat calls and guys trying to talk to me and being stared at so much, it was crazy.  but i am addjusting and finding that just looking straight ahead and not sayig anything works well to deter on lookers.  but i have met so many nice people already and have seen some amazing things, call to pray is sounding right now as i type, i am not in seattle any more. 

Left Assilah early the next day and took a train to Meknes.  This is a living; moroccan city, similar to Fez but smaller.  Wandered the souqs or markets yesterday, had the most delious mint tea ever on a square watching the happenings.  Mum you would have died and gone to heaven if you had seen the place i ate last night for dinner.  it was in a private home that served meals to those who were willing to wait because everything was fresh, bought at the market that day and only started when you ordered.  The room had exquisite tiles and painted ceilings and doors, it was beautiful.  And the meal itself was amazing, seven vegie couscous with sardines, the fish a special treat they only have twice a week.  The husband and wife were so nice. it was a great experience. 

Today saw the beautiful Mausoleum of Moulay Ismail, the resting place of one of moroccos most famous leaders.  the architecture and craftmenship is staggering.  the tiles; paintings, lamps, everything is so intricate.  I love the islamic designs.  Planning on wandering around some more and enjoying more mint tea today. heading for Rabat tomorrow.  Hope everyone is doing well, miss you and love you.    

Comments

1

oh monica..shades of our wild side trip to fez with chris, trev and melis..dodging donkeys in narrow streets..shops where only the keepers have changed in a 1000 years..sounds like meknes is even better! don't let those male pigs get you down..a little different than spain huh? hopefully you can find a companion to ally with.. i am counting on you for info for our next trip to morocco..unlike you we only scratched the surface there..where to next? we really miss you but i love reading your posts..photos pleeeeze allah akbar!
David

  David Oct 17, 2008 12:00 PM

About monicaraye


Where I've been

Favourites

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Morocco

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.