Existing Member?

New Zealand A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving. ~Lao Tzu

Merry Christmas!

NEW ZEALAND | Tuesday, 25 December 2007 | Views [589] | Comments [5]

Merry Christmas!  I got two celebrations today--I was invited to the home of another woman from the church, and then we had a potluck at the hostel.  Although it has been nice, it still doesn't quite feel right, not quite like Christmas.  It's hard for me to believe that Christmas Eve services have happened and there are Christmas trees up across the world.  Looking at the stars again tonight reminded me of just what a different place it is that I'm in. 

Tomorrow I finish things up around here and prepare for the Heaphy Track.  For now I think I'd better start heading to bed! 

Tags: Party time

Comments

1

I'll be thinking of you every day, praying that this first big overnight hiking experience is a delightful, fun, safe and wonder-filled adventure.

Hugs,
Mom

  Mom Dec 27, 2007 8:24 AM

2

Christmas in the summer can feel weird:) I know! During my first years in the states, I thought Christmas/New Years in Winter was so bizarre...
Hope you are have a good hike!
Ale

  Ale Dec 29, 2007 5:55 AM

3

Miss you to pieces! Merry Christmas (two days ago). I'm so glad I got to talk to you.

:^)

  Adrienne Dec 30, 2007 4:04 PM

4

Hey Monica,
It's Sunday morning, I am the first one up, enjoying the quiet. It has been a nonstop party here, and I have sooooo loved it. With Ed, Alicia, and Deborah here for Christmas, and Fisher and Wineingar here most of the time, too, it has been one hopping joint. But we MISS you! And we talk about you a lot. We had a really fun, relaxing evening at your Mom's house, and learned a new game, Speed Scrabble, which we have been playing a lot. Ed leaves today for OK, and I am NOT ready to see him go. It has been wonderful having him here. He says you two have been in close contact even though you are a little ways away (!) and I am glad about that. Alicia got a big part in a play next semester, and the character she is playing is a very accomplished piano player, so while she has been here, she has been practicing really complicated Beethoven pieces for 2 hours every day, so that has been really cool. Well, Monica, I think I have gabbed enough. I just wanted to send you off some news from home. I think of you often and am praying for you on your adventure.
Love,
Carla

  Carla Dec 31, 2007 3:32 AM

5

Hi Monica

Miss you greatly! Really have enjoyed your journal and look forward to more! NZ is one place I've never been, so I have GREAT envy. The pictures confirm that this is one of the most stunningly beautiful places God has created.

We all had a great holiday; but we were sad for the ones who could not join us. Went singing Christmas Carols with your Ma. Such fun!

Don't forget to give thanks to God for all He has done for you. And don't forget how much we love you!

Blessings

Charlie

  Charlie Hunt Jan 10, 2008 6:25 PM

About monica_gill


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.