Existing Member?

New Zealand A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving. ~Lao Tzu

Mount Stormy

NEW ZEALAND | Monday, 24 December 2007 | Views [532] | Comments [2]

Yesterday I had a first:  I drove on the left side of the road!  My friends let me drive their van to our hike.  It was fun.  I hit the windshield wipers instead of the blinker a couple of times, but otherwise I did okay. 

Five of us hiked up Mount Stormy (which is aptly named, it is usually covered in clouds.)  The posted sign says it takes 6-8 hours return.  We definitely took 8 hours!  I haven't done anything like that in quite a while.  We crossed two rivers, went over a little ridge with nothing on either side but down, and climbed a very steep and slippery mountain. It was quite a challenge, and I'm pretty sore today, but it felt good to challenge myself like that.  The whole climb was really beautiful--we went through a lot of rainforest and saw about 30 different types of moss and Dr. Seuss-looking trees.  When we got to the top, there was a beautiful view of a mountain range on one side, Karamea and the ocean on the other.  We sat down to eat some lunch, and when we were done we were inside a cloud and couldn't see a thing!  The trip down was much easier on my lungs, but it was still slippery and tricky at parts. 

Now I'm hoping my feet recover fully by Thursday, when I leave on the Heaphy Track!

Tags: Mountains

Comments

1

Merry christmas Mon! I hope you continue having a wonderful time in the beautiful southern hemisphere. I am so glad that you are keeping a blog... it is so great to know what you are up-to... As for me, just reading and wishing I was in New Zealand.

Merry Christmas, Love
Ale

  Ale Dec 25, 2007 6:04 AM

2

Very impressive - an 8 hour hike. Sounds really delightful! I can't make it to New Zealand this year, but you're inspiring me to find some good local hikes sometime soon :-).

Love you!
Mom

  Mom Dec 27, 2007 8:21 AM

About monica_gill


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.