Existing Member?

Words of MoKubung

My Travel Writing Scholarship 2011 entry - My Big Adventure

WORLDWIDE | Tuesday, 22 March 2011 | Views [162] | Scholarship Entry

Venturing to a different country for the first time for a warm, restful holiday turned in to a weekend filled with amazement and breath- taking visual experiences. Departing from Durban harbour in the famous MSC Sinfonia Cruise ship still taken by the size of the moving building and excitement of the first stamp in my passport, I stepped in to world class service that would drown me for the next three days.

After a few photographs of everything, I was directed to my cabin, complimented with a balcony, on the top cabin deck of the ship just below the sun deck. As I pulled open the sliding door, a wave of humid air covered my face, topped with the sight of a blue, peacefull sea. The weekend progressed with me grabbing any available opportunity to stand at the balcony listening to the water, even when my view was pitch black at night, there was a soothing and satisfying feeling gained.

Looking forward to the only land excursion on day two, it was cancelled due to the weather and seeing the island in the short distance did not serve any consolation. In courtesy of alcohol beverage Miller Genuine Draft who were responsible for the events schedule, the Sinfonia was renamed The Party Boat. Each day began with a party and just as well, ended. One had the choice to party with South Africa's top dj's namely Fresh, Euphonik and Milkshake on the pool deck where the ladies were flaunting their best assets or witness the great South African rock band, The Parlotones performing live in a classy and comfortable theatre where the latest movies were also screened.
The evenings also featured DSTV Comedy shows with the likes of Loyiso Gola, David Kavbhuka and Trevor Noah pulling all the females from their mischevious activities.

I still have a potbelly to remind me of the Italian cuisine served at the onboard Il Covo and Il Galeone restaurants. Due to the busy entertainment schedule, regrettably some meals were missed.
Of all the holiday destinations I landed in, the sea was the most adventorous. So if you are planning your next holiday, consider a getaway to the great oasis of your familiar and stress infested land.

Tags: #2011Writing, Travel Writing Scholarship 2011

About mokubung


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.