Existing Member?

Miss V Goes North

Searching for Service ...

CANADA | Monday, 20 October 2008 | Views [266] | Comments [2]

I have only lived in urban communites, and with Toronto being the biggest one in Canada, it has been a big adjustment moving to a Native reserve with a population of only 2400 people.

There is a big doctor shortage in Canada but I was lucky enough to have a family doctor just down the street from me growing up. Here, there is a nursing station open Monday-Friday, but the doctor only comes in on Wednesday and Thursday mornings, so it's very hard to get an appointment with her. Most of the nurses are hired by an agency so they are only here for 2 weeks at a time. If you need to go to a hospital, then you have to drive an hour into Thompson or call for an ambulance to take you there. Thompson is the closest city and it has a population of about 13 000.

The one place to shop in Nelson House is the Northern Store. The store sells groceries, school supplies, clothing, etc. It is like a very small Walmart but with higher prices and a smaller selection. It is sometimes hard to find what you want and the quality of food is inconsistent. Sometimes the store will close early without notice. I do my grocery shopping in Thompson, making sure to buy enough food for at least 2 weeks. In Thompson, there are 3 places to buy groceries: Safeway, WalMart, and ExtraFoods, which is similar to No Frills. The post office is there too. There are no mailboxes here, so you need to mail letters from the store. I think people have their mail delivered to the store because many of their addresses are listed simply as Nelson House. All teachers receive their mail at the school.

Many of you are busy after school with dance classes, beavers or girl guides, and sports teams, but kids here don't have those things. There are 2 baseball diamonds at the school, a hockey rink, and small community centre, but it is hard to find anyone to run teams or clubs. Apparently there was a big turnout for soccer this summer. Kids who signed up would board the school bus Sat mornings to go to Thompson where they played in a league. Hockey is popular. Rumor has it that they just put the ice in! I'm not sure when the rink is open but I'm excited to finally have a place to get some exercise!

There is one restaurant in the community that serves a wide selection of food. The only problem is that sometimes they run out of certain foods so you don't always get your first choice.

Speaking of food, it's time to start cooking my supper! Talk to you soon ...

Comments

1

Hey Ms. Varden it sounds like it's always an adventure for you. Do you have any librarys? If you don't I really feel sorry for you. I need a good portion of reading each day to really wake me up. How much snow is up there? It's snowing right now here but it's quite light. It's only about an inch high. I hope that your feeling well.

  Austin M.B.E. Dec 9, 2008 1:25 AM

2

Hi Austin,

I am feeling well, thank you. I don't have internet at home anymore because the satellite was vandalized, so I haven't been keeping up with the blog.

Yes, we have one small public library in Nelson House right beside the school, so therefore very close to where I live. Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to visit it because it has been closed every time I've gone so far. Although it is small, it is connected to the library in Thompson, so they can order books from that library's collection as well. There is also a small library in the school, but it has not been operational for two years or so. They did hire a librarian in December and she hopes to have it up and running in the new year. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

It doesn't snow that often here so you have more snow in Toronto than we do. The difference is that the snow that does fall doesn't melt, so we have had a winter wonderland since late October.

  Miss V. Dec 28, 2008 12:49 AM

About missv


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Canada

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.