Existing Member?

Melissa's Travels

Taking on the Spanish Education System. One subject at a time.

USA | Sunday, 2 August 2009 | Views [822]

I never thought I would add "ESL teacher" to the list of jobs I've held. Truth be told, I was one of those children in elementary school who steered clear of the kids in the ESL classes. I read books condemning the horrific history of segregation and organized presentations for school assemblies proclaiming the uselessness of racism. I definitely wasn't going to judge anyone based on their appearance. However, if you weren't mainstreamed with the English speaking kids then you just didn't make the cut to be on my friends list. I think "mainstreamed" is the key word here. I didn't hang out with the ESL kids because I never really had the opportunity to get to know them. They were segregated from the rest of the school in their own classroom, they ate lunch together, played together at recess and had their own P.E., library and music sessions. The only time I learned anything about them was when they did a little performance at the annual multicultural assembly. I probably assumed that since their friend group consisted of solely their fellow ESL classmates, that they had no interest of being my friend.

Times have changed since the early 90's. ESL programs have taken on the more politically correct name of "ELL" (English Language Learners) and schools are working to integrate these kids whenever possible. I've grown up from the 6 year old girl who didn't find it necessary to put forth the effort (or break through my shyness) to reach out and befriend the kids from cultures different from my own and I'm now scouring the Internet to make new friends around the world. Whereas learning a new language once seemed pointless, I now find it essential. I'm sure all of this growing up will aid me as I embark on the adventure awaiting me this fall, teaching English at a bilingual elementary school in the suburbs outside of Madrid, Spain.

I've been spending this summer taking advantage of my free time (I am "partially unemployed," a term I prefer to saying instead I have a part time job because that doesn't seem to fully express my state of financial distress and I was told that if I am working 20 hours a week I am technically not allowed to lament about being unemployed). Anyhow, I have been meeting weekly with a new friend from Madrid, who lives in Seattle at the moment, to practice my Spanish. Of course, I am also helping her with her English and realizing how little I really know about the English language. Having discovered this, I am also enjoying the literary delight of English Grammar for Students of Spanish and will likely take English Grammar for Dummies for a whirl in the upcoming weeks. I'm a Spanish flash card toting fanatic at the moment (great for studying on the elliptical at the gym) and I am proud to say that I watched my first full length Spanish movie sans subtitles last week.

Of course, I still have miles, or kilometers rather--must prepare for the metric system, to walk before I feel comfortable enough to arrive in Madrid and search for an apartment. Just last week I was hiding out in Starbucks to escape from the unusually inferno-esqu day we were having in Seattle and two guys sat down beside me with their frappucinos and began to talk in Spanish. I lowered the volume on my iPod and commenced to eavesdrop. I considered interrupting them and inquiring where they were from. They were around my age, talkative and as I learned, headed to the beach. I'm sure they would've been delighted and surprised to discover that this blonde Seattleite could speak a little Español. However, I was certain they weren't from Spain and what if they made fun of my lisp, or accidental use of vosotros? Even worse, what if I couldn't understand their rapid central American Spanish or god forbid, they could be from Argentina and stump me with words like "plasha" and "esha." So rather than take advantage of the real life study opportunity sitting next to me, I instead opted to bury my nose in my Spanish grammar book. I felt like an ecologist sitting on the outskirts of the Amazon reading an encyclopedia on plants rather than just trekking into the jungle and exploring it first hand. I vowed I would never let such an opportunity pass me by again.

Of course, in my actual job I'll be speaking in English rather than Spanish. At least, that is what should happen in theory. However, from what I hear it sounds like theory and practice don't necessarily look the same. Although I'm preparing to teach English grammar and organize fun games in English, a girl I've met who participated in this program last year was in charge of teaching science and P.E. (a task I do not feel like I could rise to. How can I represent America if I don't even know the rules of baseball?). This girl had no teaching certificate, but she was teaching these subjects in English, a subject with which she had an entire lifetime of real world experience (this was the school's rationalization). Other teaching assistant's have complained that their school's don't seem to know what to do with them so they've wound up spending most days sitting in front of a computer. Getting paid to sit in front of facebook for 16 hrs a week in Spain? Not for me. I'm pretty confident that the folks in Madrid have got their act together. Especially since they're now competing with Catalunya (the region where Barcelona is located) to get their students up to speed on national testing outcomes (http://www.elpais.com/articulo/cataluna/examenes/ver/mismo/elpepiespcat/20090727elpcat_8/Tes).

Any updates to the education system would be great news since I've been less than impressed with the education levels I've found amongst the Spaniards of my age. Although I overall find it charming that Spain is a country of Western Europe unadulterated by the English language, where thanks to the language barrier, traveling feels a little more adventurous than a visit to England or even Germany. However, the reality is that Spain lags behind most Western European countries in the number of citizens able to speak English (with only Italy touting less English language speakers). Charming as it may be, it certainly is not good for tourism, other aspects of their economy or their attempts to have an international presence. Any Spaniards I've met who speak English have been lucky enough to have parents who spoke English, went to a private or International school or made a significant effort on their own part to study English (such as living abroad, enrolling in optional language school or took it upon themselves to learn the language in their free time). Now in their late twenties or thirties and settled in careers (though possibly still living with parents), many Spaniards find it pointless to study English. I see the same sentiments amongst my friends in the states. They rarely encounter scenarios where they'd need anything but their native language so why try? Plus, isn't it true that you can really only learn a language when you're a kid, why waste time now?

Learning a new language is different for everyone, both in learning style and ease at picking up the language. And although it is not by any stretch impossible to learn a language as an adult, it is certainly more desirable to begin learning the language as a child. This is why I'm so excited that in the past few years Madrid has instituted bilingual programs in many of their schools (which I get to be a part of!). In between watching Spanish movies and planning my weekend trips while in Spain I've been spending a lot of time researching ESL/ELL websites. I have a lot to learn when it comes to teaching English. Last week I expressed my enthusiasm to a friend about reading Dr. Seuss to Spanish 1st graders. This friend, who has experience with teaching English as part of the Peace Corps, politely pointed out that Dr. Seuss vocabulary may not necessarily be the best introduction to English. Point taken. Now I'm struggling to figure out if Hickory-Dickory-Dock and "Hey Diddle Diddle" are even appropriate songs to teach? In fact, I am beginning to wonder how children in the states really ever learn proper English when they are hearing about guys playing "knick-knack," throwing ears over shoulders like a continental shoulder and a giant egg practically committing suicide. Forget learning English, how do kids here even have a grasp on reality?? Regardless, I am having a great time reminiscing about my childhood and remembering all the points along my educational path that helped turn me into a lifelong lover of learning.

The most exciting part about teaching in Spain? I can finally work with elementary schoolers again, without the fear of getting a chair thrown at me or school supplies being snuck away to create makeshift weapons. Bring on the scissors and sharpened pencils!

 

About missmelissa


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.