Existing Member?

Melissa's Travels

Next on my to-do list:: Buy a hair straightener!

SPAIN | Thursday, 1 May 2008 | Views [972]

Just a quick post this May Day of 2008. I had plans to spend the day with my amigas in Salamanca, but when I arrived at the bus station there were no more tickets. Instead of traveling on a later bus by myself I decided to see what May Day is all about in Madrid. This weekend also commemorates the 200th anniversary of the Dos de Mayo Uprising of 1808. According to Wikipedia:: On May 2, 1808 (Spanish: Dos de Mayo) the people of Madrid rebelled against the occupation of the city by French troops, provoking a brutal repression by the French Imperial forces and triggering the Peninsular War.

They are setting up grandstands for outdoor concerts all over the city. It´s a good thing I slept for 14 hours last night because I don´t think I´ll be sleeping this weekend! I also have a lot to celebrate this weekend as I just discovered I´ve been accepted for a teaching position here in Madrid!! I have very few details at the moment but the position is through Spain´s Ministry of Education and I will be working 12-16 hours a week teaching English language and American culture to students anywhere from 7 to 17 years old. I´ll receive a small monthly stipend, but hopefully will be able to secure a second job while I´m here! As soon as I get back to the states I´ll need to go about securing my visa for my stay from the end of September 2008 to May 2009 as well as finding a place to live! Just as I was beginning to wonder why I´d come to Spain to study Spanish, I now have my answer! I hope that during my eight month stay I will be able to welcome many visitors from the states to my temporary home in Madrid. Most exciting of all is now I can rationalize the purchase of a hair straightener because I will once again be able to use it this fall (they´re designed specifically for European outlets).

¡Voy a celebrar Mayo y mi nuevo trabajo! Ciao!

 

About missmelissa


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Spain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.