Existing Member?

Melissa's Travels

Week 3:: Sweet, Simple and way too wordy...

SPAIN | Sunday, 13 April 2008 | Views [515]

It´s unbelievable how quickly the past week has flown by and even harder to imagine that one week from now I will be settling into my new home in Madrid. My first week in Alicante seemed to crawl by as I struggled to overcome jetlag and adapt to my new surroundings. However, ever since my first weekend arrived, time has simply FLOWN by! Last Friday night my friend Jasmin and I joined our friend Mark in celebrating his final night here in Alicante. He was only able to be here for 2 weeks because he´s a school teacher in England. I´ve never been a fan of good-byes, I find it incredibly unfair that you´re suddenly unable to spend time with someone who´s company you thoroughly enjoy. Hopefully this time in Spain will help me learn to appreciate the moments I have with people and accept the reality of good-byes. Below is a photo from Mark´s last night here, before we headed out for a long night of dancing:



On Saturday I joined my friend Jasmin for a night at the ¨cine¨to see ¨Kite Runner¨ (Cometas en El Cielo in Spanish). I´d read the book and Jasmin had seen the movie in German so luckily we were able to understand what was happening. As for actually understanding what was being said though, that is another story. I do much better with subtitles in Spanish as well, because it is so hard to grab on to the specific words coming out of the actor´s mouths. Sunday we were supposed to go to Dénia (a nearby town), but our plans changed and instead I spent the morning running along the beach. Actually I only spent about 45 minutes doing that, but because I got up so late, by the time I was finished, the morning was over! In the afternoon Jasmin and I met up at the beach. We both were a little more quiet than usual with Mark gone now. We both agreed that we needed to find an eccentric and hilarious guy to fill his shoes. Thankfully, we didn´t have to wait long because on Monday three new guys joined our class at school:: Patrick from Germany, Victorio from Italy and Johannes from Norway (actually he´s from Berkley, but he´s lived in Norway for the past 4 years and speaks fluent Norwegian). Patrick is 21 years old and studying law in Hamburg. He speaks English like he´s lived in London his whole life and all of the girls from the U.S. instantly fell in love with him. A few days later I learned that he is also a male cheerleader in Germany and goes to competitions with his school. I didn´t even know cheerleading existed outside the U.S.--priceless!! Victorio is your typical Italian, even when he´s speaking Spanish it sounds like it´s Italian. I instantly fell in love with his blue eyes and smile...but he has friends here in town so we never really hang out with him. Tuesday afternoon we all decided to go out to lunch because Victorio was incredibly anxious to have pizza. I pointed out that the pizza here in Spain can´t possibly be as good as it is in Italy and he replied that´s true, but it´s still Pizza! Now, as for Johannes...I don´t really know how to sum him up...he is tall and lanky and his hair is longer than mine and he has a beard and mustach as well. He wore green van sneakers and tall red and white striped socks with his shorts the other day, recently bought a skateboard so he could zip around town on it and last night when we all went out he showed up with this giant black horn-rimmed glasses...without glass! He is absolutely hilarious and Jasmin and I have decided to adopt him as our new Mark.

On Monday afternoon I went and got tea with Jasmin and later joined another classmate, Katrine (from Iowa) for coffee. Time flies here and this really hit me on Monday when I realized that I´d barely eaten for the day and had consumed way too much caffeine. Walking home from the cafe I found myself feeling very shaky, dizzy and unable to figure out what to do...should I go back to where Katrina was and order something to eat? Go to the supermarket? Or back to my apartment...but what if my blood sugar was so low I couldn´t even make it back to my apartment? I decided to stop at the closest cafe and bought a banana that cost me a euro (about 1,50 dollars!) and sat down on a bench for a couple minutes before making the final trek home. Wandering through the streets on the way to my apartment I realized for the first time since I arrived in Alicante just how very alone I am here. Unlike in Seattle, I can´t easily call a friend or family member if I need help or even advice. And if I were to pass out in the middle of the road, would someone actually help me? This concern was probably due to the excessive amounts of caffeine swirling through my blood stream, but it did make me realize how very much I miss all my friends at home. Although I´ve made some really great friends here, there is just not enough time to build that really great connection with them that I have with my friends I´ve known for 2, 8, even 15 years! When I got back to my apartment that afternoon I enjoyed some water, snacks and a long nap. In the states this type of thing would never happen to me as I am always on top of making sure I eat something every 3 hours or so, but here where I eat lunch at 1pm and dinner at 10pm and don´t have easy access to food, it is easy to overlook. Since Monday though I´ve started carrying around snacks with me so I don´t risk feeling like that ever again!

Tuesday evening Jasmin and I went to the local theatre to see the Kremlin Ballet perform Romeo y Julieta. It was absolutely breathtaking!! I was a little nervous that I would fall asleep because I have a tendency to do this when I have to sit for great lengths of time (such as when I went to the ballet in Paris...I will never forgive myself for that one...), but the performance captured my attention for the entire two hours. It was nice to enjoy a form of entertainment that didn´t also require me to practice my Spanish. Following the ballet Jasmin and I headed to our favorite local cafe, Pinnochio, for crepes and wine. We both insisted that our Spanish was drastically better after the second glass, but who knows?

Wednesday afternoon found me heading over to Jasmin´s to watch a movie we´d rented from our school, Volver (a Spanish film with Penelope Cruz). The daughter of her host family was using the TV when I arrived so we decided to head to a local cafe with her roommate. A few more students joined us at this cozy cafe that boasted a six page menu solely of teas. As we all sat enjoying our selected tea and getting to know eachother through a mixture of English, Spanish and occasionally German, it started pouring down rain outside. The experience was so delightful that I´ve found myself wishing it would rain again before I leave Alicante so I can recreate the moment. As for Volver, we finally had a chance to watch it but with the little girl in Jasmin´s family vying for our attention, it was really difficult to understand what was going on (even with Spanish subtitles!). Thankfully I´d already seen it so I was able to split my attention between listening to the dialogue and coloring with the little girl. It was actually pretty adorable, when the movie got a little scary she brought us each a stuffed animal to cling to. I returned home that night to find that my host family had already finished dinner, but thankfully they had a little left for me. It´s always hard to know when to be home for dinner as it can fall anywhere between 9pm and 11pm, depending on the night. It ended up being a really positive thing that I was the only one at dinner because it gave me a chance to talk more with my host parents. They were surprised to realize how much Spanish I actually know! They assured me that in 9 weeks, when I head back home, I will be speaking fluent Spanish.

I was dissapointed to find out that I will once again have classes in the morning next week. I am ready for an opportunity to hang out with my friends during the week! This week in class was really enjoyable though so I can´t complain too much. We´ve been practicing our Spanish through debates on issues ranging from the feasability of long distance relationships to when you want to learn a language, is it better to go to school or date someone from the country where the language is spoken? We also had a day where we received a card with a medical issue written on it and we had to explain what we had in front of the class and then everyone had to guess what it was an offer medical advice. I had an easy time explaining that a had a sunburn, but it was absolutely hilarious to hear Patrick try to explain that his card said he had hemeroids. This week I also had another chance to do a speech in front of the class, this time my topic was ¨Why Independent Films are Better than Commercial Films.¨

My weekend has been incredibly busy, although I´ve had a great deal of time for naps as well. Friday night was the last night for a bunch of the students from the states so we all headed out for drinks and dancing. One of my classmates introduced me to her friend who lives in Alicante. He was mesmerized by my hair (which I´d straightened that night so it appeared even blonder than usual) and offered to spend the entire next week helping me learn Spanish. Around 4am he took a group of us to the local Kebap restaurant where his friends work for complimentary Kebaps. It was hilarous to be sitting around in the closed Kebap shop listening to the mix of English, Spanish and Arabic that was being spoken. At the end of the night Jasmin and I agreed to meet him the next afternoon so he could be our guide up to the Castle Santa Barbara. Although I had a great time treking up to the castle, enjoying the breathtaking views of the city and hearing all about Nor´s love for Alicante as well as his home in Algeria (which is directly south of Spain), I didn´t really feel like hanging out with him later that night. Instead I headed out with Jasmin and Johannes (who also brought his roommate Diago, from Brazil) to the barrio, where all the bars stay open until 4 or 5 and the streets are always crowded with people smoking weed and enjoying makeshift picnics as they wait for their favorite club to open. Jasmin was hoping to take us to this great bar she´d been to that had mojitos for only 3 euros. We wandered around for nearly an hour before we randomly stumbled across it (half of the street was closed for construction). We ducked into the entryway that looked more like a window than a door and headed upstairs. The instant I walked up to the second level and took my first breath, my lungs filled with smoke. It amazes me how many people they cram into bars here. I don´t think that fire codes exist. We grabbed mojitos and huddled over by the window to enjoy the jazz music as well as the fresh air. Several mojitos later we realized our eyes were starting to burn from all the smoke and decided to head out for some dancing. The club we stumbled across had the most amazing mix of music, including a remix of I Will Survive, Reggaton, Salsa, Bob Marley and at the end of the night a mix of all the songs from the movie Grease. It was definitely a night to remember and all the fun I had made up for the fact that my scarf was missing when I went to retrieve it at the end of the night. Thankfully it wasn´t my purse!

With one week left in Alicante, I have a great deal planned for myself. I may have to forgoe my daily siesta to get it all done...I hope to take more photos of the sites around the city as well as run along the beach a couple more times. Tomorrow night we´re going salsa dancing (I can´t wait to see Johannes try out salsa!), Tuesday is set for heading to the City Centre of Alicante, Thursday we´ll be going to dinner with our professors and then out for drinks and Johannes and Diago have offered to cook for all of us on Friday night! I´m thinking my last week in Alicante will without a doubt be eventful and hopefully I´ll find time to sleep a little and study some Spanish as well. Saturday I take a train to Madrid at 2pm and that night plan to enjoy Sangria and a night of dancing until dawn with one of my favorite travel companions, Ivy, who´s been traveling around Europe the past several months.

(A photo of Jasmin, Mark and I during our first week. The palm trees behind us line the explanada that I run on to get to the beach from my house.)

 

About missmelissa


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Spain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.