Existing Member?

Misha Gitberg our trot from London, Budapest, Viena, Rome, Florence, Venice, Sophia, Istanbul, Doha-all so we can finally get to India! then Nepal, and then Thailand! and then Laos, USA and Canada.

meeting my In-Laws

BULGARIA | Saturday, 21 July 2007 | Views [2392]

fields near Klimentin the field After spending a few days in the capital, Sophia, meeting Teodora's friends, exploring crumbling charm of yet another Eastern European country (which brought back many memories of Russia), we have arrived to a small Turkish village where Teodora's parents seem to be the only non-Turks. I think both parents were relived that I did not wear any bizarre religious attire, which I think they imagined I would wear considering my Buddhist pursuits.

Teodora's mom Teo and her Dad

Pastoral TeodoraI am very sexy We had great time at the village-after overextending our senses in Europe, like children who had too much chocolate, we deflated amidst the fields, clean air, the quiet, interrupted only by cicadas, rooster calls and depths of cow mooing. it was unusually hot (no rain for over a month) so we slept in the hammocks, under the huge Bulgarian starry skies-what a bliss!

Teodora's parents are very spacious, so it was easy and pleasant to just hang around and eat great naturally organic veggies from their garden well, food is important, is it not?) I have bonded with Teodora's Dad over his famous home-made clear and strong Rakia (it must be over 40%), which must have been very smooth as I normally drink liquor like that.

Even though we have worried about the kind of celebration they would have for our recent wedding (we feared big crowds of unknown relatives, invited out of a sense of obligation), it turned out to be small and pleasant day at a park restaurant, where we even did some Bulgarian dancing (at which I miserably failed. Ok, Teodora, who types her letters next to me and looks over my shoulder, says that it is not true, that the first round of Bulgarian dances I did well, but the second one I did fail-she confirms that!)

Red Bulgarian Dances Teo and her mom

three musketeers I liked a few days of village life with its fields, passing sheppards, villagers bringing cows home for the night, the slow speed of life.

On the picture above we are in front of the small bus agency where we bought our tickets to Istanbul. The man (in the middle) is an agent, who one day knocked on the door of the house, bringing us tickets, which he filled with our information, while taking his time to talk to the family, to us, drink coffee and some Rakia, tell his stories and, an hour later, he was on his way back to his office-this is how business is done here-who is in a hurry?

_7263289Misha playing Yaser Arafatthe streets of village Kliment Here I am playing Yaser Arafat with Teodora's Dad, Ok -just obtaining honey from the bee house.

Teodora and her Dad One night, a small Turkish family of neighbours ( mother, father and their adult daughter) came to visit: they have heard about my interest in Buddhism and the woman ( who is evidently the head of the family) was very keen on knowing about Buddhist view. it was a brief but cute conversation via Teodora's translation, basically a quick comparing notes on Islam and Buddhism-after may be 30 min of talking, somehow we came to mutual conclusion, that there are more similarities then differences, thus the peace in the village was not disturbed :-)

Bulgaria is probably the poorest Eastern European country at present, still struggling with transition to market economy, yet, the number of Mercedes Benz cars I saw around far exceeds the number of expensive cars in any other country we visited. In fact, your humble servant, drove a nice Mercedes which the family "borrowed" for the duration of our visit.

There is always more to say, but for the sake of sparing your valuable time and a principle of economy, I stop here.

One more thing to mention however, the graffiti we saw in Sophia are completely out of hand! So, Laci, compared to Budapest, Sophia is the indisputable winner (in graffiti domain)- illustrating pictures are coming soon.

you can view more photos from Bulgaria at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/69781927@N00/sets/72157601875120202/detail/

pics from Sophia are coming sooooooon....

Tags: Party time

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Bulgaria

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.