Existing Member?

Misha Gitberg our trot from London, Budapest, Viena, Rome, Florence, Venice, Sophia, Istanbul, Doha-all so we can finally get to India! then Nepal, and then Thailand! and then Laos, USA and Canada.

Meeting people

INDIA | Saturday, 6 October 2007 | Views [1985]

One of the great joys in our travels is meeting new people, other travellers like us.
Story upon story gradually make their imprint on me. Young singles and couples, couples with children, people in the 60s and 70s, whether single or couples-all gladly reveal their stories of transition in life, their pains, their search. Collectively they break down any preconceived notion or stereotype about transitions, travels, when one should sell everything and drift, at what age, "correct"ways it can be done.

India it seems has become a strange refuge, short- and long-term, and even a permanent home (as far as any permanency goes) for spiritual seekers, grieving souls, burned out social workers, therapists and nurses, freelance writers and the retired from the West.

Teodora and I no longer wait for a astonished response when we say to people that we have given up our jobs and are travelling for about one year. In fact it sounds pretty lame here. Too often, we hear in response: "..gave up my job and am travelling indefinitely..or for 3,4,8 years etc"

Bob, a heavily embellished with spiritual tattoos and prayer beads social worker from LA, where he worked with the inner city youth, has been searching for enlightenment from "too many gurus" fro 3 years.  He may return to the US when Bush steps down from power.

Maggie, a free-lance writer and "Indologist at large" has been away from her home in the US for 4 years. She is writing a coverage of the unreported in press visit by the Dali Lama to Leh, Ladakh, where he was asked to mediate between the Muslim and Buddhist communities.

In Dharamsala, we had a few meals with a lovely young couple from Australia and their charming 4 years old boy. They have decided to settle in Varanasi. Their dream is to be able to offer a safe spiritual heaven in this extremely intense place for seekers of all persuasions.

Ellen, a very talkative retired science teacher from New York,travelled around the world for eight years. She is in her 60s now and came to Ladakh to help with a NGO project in rural villages.

Rita, a retired Israeli woman in her 70s came to India with a friend, both are travelling indefinitely , taking meditation courses and just hanging out.

A young doctor from Germany, Goenke and an American midwife Rondi, are travelling after one year project in Asam ( North-East India) with the Doctors without Borders.

Sabina, a funky middle aged woman from New Zealand gave up her job to come to India "for indefinite period"-she got a six months volunteer job at the office of Tushita Monastery.

The list is long and is growing... It is as if we came to India not only meet this diverse and complex culture but to meet the whole world, which came closer to us, opened up its five continents and its unimaginable mix of people who brew their life and travel stories together. Each story is told through the accents of so many countries: all unique and yet very similar in essence: travelling is a way of discovering and rediscovering yourself, giving yourself a dose of fresh blood potion, concocted on the roads of the World; healing your pains, boredom, stagnation, recovering your passions, opening your senses to this precious and beautiful, troubled and needy vast world of ours.

I think if one is ready for deep change, immersing yourself in this undefined and complex soup of long-term travel is the best recipe.  Do not buy a return ticket, because there is no return to the past. Set yourself adrift and you will arrive safely to where you need to be.
It is a good way to learn to trust Life as its hand guides you from a story to story, from a person to person, from hope and despair to a wider vision than the one that held you tight before.... you just pack lightly........

Tags: Philosophy of travel

 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.