Existing Member?

Michele's travels

A Land Down Under

AUSTRALIA | Saturday, 9 May 2009 | Views [607]

At the airport in Perth, waiting for my connection to Sydney for my flight out to L.A., I took some time to reflect on Australia. After spending almost 4 weeks in “the land down under”, with only 3 days where the sun didn’t shine on a bright blue sky, I was truly sad to leave because it has really grown on me!

I have to admit that when I arrived in the beginning, it took me good few days to adjust from the India experience, being back in civilization where everything seemed “normal”, and probably a lot of initial impressions were slightly blurred for that reason. Even though I spent the first few days in Australia in this amazing remote island, I seem to recall the best memories from Queensland and Western Australia. This may also simply have to do with changes in mood...

Now, I think that Australia is an absolutely magic place. So then what is it that I liked so much about it?

Nr 1 has to be the beaches! I have walked along so many nice beaches in the last few weeks but never ever got tired of them. Every beach is different and has left a lasting memory, but Whitehaven beach in the Whitsundays has gotta be way up there – I will forever rave about the softness of that sand! And the sunsets of Western Australia…

Secondly, the wildlife – both that on the ground, in the air, and underwater. So many species, so many colours … I have seen wild kangaroos, possums, quokkas, cockatoos, parrots, dolphins, countless fish, sea turtles but no snakes, spiders, great white sharks, crocodiles and still no cockroach!

Then, the people, you just gotta love them. Australians are renowned for being laid-back and this is true, and certainly very pleasant for someone who is here on holiday. No matter where you go, you are greeted with a friendly “Hi, how are you going?” (this takes some time to get used to from “hi, how are you?”, and no, you do NOT reply to this question by “oh, I’m catching a bus there…”). Everthing is “awesome” and there are “no worries”. I have yet to meet a miserable Australian and I firmly believe they do not exist (at least not in coastal Australia). Australians are also very sociable and definitely like a drink in their hand. If this happens to be a can of beer, it will always be in a foamie can holder which I have grown to like a lot, because it makes total sense – keeps your beer cold and your hand warm! They also love their food, especially if it’s barbecued, and make very good wines that, surprisingly, don’t seem to give you a headache ! (except if you are tasting it all day).

Finally, traveling in Australia is just really easy, although it can become expensive. Everything is geared towards the tourist, no matter what category, and there is always some organized tour to make your life easier and your wallet emptier. Eating out is generally cheap though,  but transport comparably expensive.

And to finish off, couple of favourites:

Favourite part of Australia: WA!!! (Western Australia). It has everything you would ever need in life: great weather, beaches, sunsets, waves, wine, food, music, people and attitude!

Favourite beach: Whitehaven, Whitsunday Islands, Queensland

Favourite wine: Cabernet Merlot, 2007, Woody Nook Estate, WA.

Favourite food: Kangaroo steaks (bbq’ed by John on Three Hummock Island) and venison sausages a la Gemma & Rob!

Favourite soft drink: Solo Lemonade

Favourite animal: still in love with that koala...

Favourite moment: When I was waiting for the ferry from Hamilton Island to Airlie Beach, just after Mike’s departure, and Aussie guy Andrew from Cairns, married with 2 kids, started talking to me about Australia, traveling, love and life, and mentioned at the end of the conversation that all Australians firmly believe that “life is a journey”. I couldn’t agree more.

 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.