Existing Member?

Michele's travels

Fremantle and Rottnest Island

AUSTRALIA | Tuesday, 5 May 2009 | Views [393]


I spent my last 2 days in Australia in Fremantle & Rottnest Island, 20 km south of Perth, but miles away in personality! Fremantle is a picturesque little town full of historic buildings and a hub of the arts & music scene. Moreover, Rottnest Island, just offshore from Fremantle, harbours tropical beaches and a native community. In short, it was the perfect place to linger around and soak up all the best that Australia has to offer once again. I spent the day walking around Fremantle, doing some shopping, until I ended up in a record shop…Here in Fremantle, record shopping is still a real delight. The record shops are small, and the guy behind the counter actually plays in a band! In the first shop, the shop attendant was the lyricist (so he says) of Eskimo Joe (one of the more famous Australian bands) for their new album and he was happy to advise me on up and coming bands from Australia, in particular of course Western Australia. The guy in the second shop was more into electro, and made me listen to a lot of good stuff! So in the end, I spent a small fortune (because unfortunately, CDs aren’t cheap in Australia L) on several indie & electro albums to take home, including some old favourites like Eskimo Joe. 

Unfortunately, I had visited Fremantle on the wrong day of the week (Monday) to catch some live music in town, so instead I watched a movie back at the hostel and had a chat with some travelers from Scotland.

 

On my last day in Australia, I couldn’t make my mind up whether to spend money on a ferry to get to Rottnest Island, but I’m glad I did in the end, because it was well worth it!

I arrived rather late, at noon, and immediately headed for the nearest beach, which turn out to be this little gem with shallow waters and reef. To my great surprise, the water was relatively warm, so I had fun splashing around in the breaking waves. And I realized one thing: I had become addicted to the sea. Damn it, why did I chose to move to the mountains???

A few hours later, I left the island very happy, and returned to Perth airport content to have spent my last day in Australia in this way.

 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.