Existing Member?

Me, myself and I

First impression

ITALY | Sunday, 22 January 2012 | Views [517] | Comments [1]

You know how first impressions are. When you have a job interview, you need to look presentable. When you meet one of your friend's boyfriend for the first time, usually, after one look, you have an idea of him set in your mind.

Cities are the same. The first time (and, truth be told, only time!) I went to San Francisco, I knew I fell in love. No questions about it. I had been to France, Italy, China and Japan but San Francisco became, within minutes, my favorite city on Earth.

It isn't anymore!

It didn't take me minutes but seconds to fall in love again. With Venise!

I arrived just before sunset. I was carrying my suitcase (I know, not a real backpacker!) and computer bag, I had my filofax with instructions for the hostel in one hand and was pulling the suitcase from the other, I was exhausted from too much partying and visiting at the same time in Spain and France and still, I couldn't help smiling and laughing like a complete idiot and stopping every 30 seconds to take pictures (which, unfortunately, almost all turned out terrible because my camera only makes good pictures during daytime).

I stopped in front of every shop selling Carnaval masks (how touristy!) and would have bought every single one of them if it hadn't been from a slightly tight budget and a suitcase already too full. This being said, I have made to myself the promise that next year, I will be here for the Carnaval!

When I found my hostel, I barely took the time to leave my bags in my room before going out again, walking without a goal, admiring the streets, the canals, the churches and, mostly, the colours!

When, after about two hours of that, accompanied by the music of Jesus Christ Superstar (that's another story, maybe next time!), I stopped in a pizzeria, had mushroom and proscuitto pizza and, on my way back to the hostel, full, tired and yet immensely happy, I couldn't help thinking: I want to live here!

Comments

1

We really liked your post and decided to feature it on the WorldNomads Adventures homepage so that other travellers can enjoy it too.

Happy Travels!
Kate

  Kate Hoffman Jan 23, 2012 11:34 AM

About mimoso_666


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.