Existing Member?

Emma & Maneesh on the Big OE

Finally found somewhere to live

IRELAND | Sunday, 12 October 2008 | Views [759] | Comments [12]

Em and King John's Castle, River Shannon, Limerick

Em and King John's Castle, River Shannon, Limerick

WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 8TH

One week since we arrived in Ireland, Em has a job, and we had a city to live in, but we needed a house to live in. So todays main objective was to try and find a place to live. After breakfast we headed into town to pick up a paper. We also went to the Garda to try and sort out her working holiday Visa but this could not happen without an address. We also went to the bank, but again we needed an address. So we grabbed a bite to eat, then headed to King John's castle, on the banks of the River Shannon in central Limerick. It was built in the twelth century, and was definitely worth a visit. I am unsure if we will think this at this time next year, as I am sure we will probably see more spectacular castles than this one. No the less, we enjoyed it.

After we had finished here we headed back to the hotel and set about trying to get a room sorted out to live in. We managed to arrange to met a guy that evening. Someone we had talked to the day before decided she did not want a couple. We also heard from someone else who said she would consider us. So that evening after dinner, we were picked up by a guy from Lithuania and went to his flat which he was currently sharing with one other guy. He was very nice, but we were not sure whether we would be happy there (he didn't stop talking or smoking the whole time, and took us for a scary ride in his car). While we were there, we had a call from the girl who had said no, she had changed her mind and wanted to meet us, so we arranged that for Thursday night.

THURSDAY, OCTOBER 9TH

Today was the day we had to leave our hotel because we there were no more beds available. We found somewhere else to stay at bit further out of town, so at mid-day, checked out, lumbered on the packs, and wandered down the road 20 minutes to our new hotel. It too is quite nice, but unfortunately, no free internet access, and also again no access to cooking facilities and no fridge in the room. We checked in early and after getting organised we headed across the road to the supermarket there and picked up some lunch there. The afternoon was a nice relaxing one. This evening after dinner we went and met Marie and had a look around her house. Marie and her fiance, Joe, came and picked us up and took us to her house. It is a very nice house in a new subdivision and me and Em really like it. We are just waiting to her if Marie is happy to have two people or not, so hopefully we will have found a nice place to live.

FRIDAY, OCTOBER 10TH

We have been in Ireland for 10 days now, Em has a job, and we now have somewhere to live. We can move into Marie's house tomorrow which is fantastic. We now have an address, which in Ireland means we can now exist. We have not been able to open a bank account, get a car, get internet, and Em has not been able to pay her fee for her working VISA because we didnt have an address. So now we can start to get those things sorted out.
We went to Ennis today on the bus, about 50km North-West of Limerick. It is a beautful old Irish town, with narrow cobbled streets. It was a pretty miserable day, drizzling all day long. The main reason to go there was to meet our agent, so we could go and get a couple of things sorted out. What a surprise – to get our PPS numbers (tax numbers) we needed proof of an address which we couldn't produce. Anyway we found a loop-hole and got that sorted out. After this we went to a pub and had Irish lamb stew for lunch. It was so nice to have a nice hearty meal after a week of not so good meals.

Ennis will be a place we will have to go back to and have a look on a nicer day, well at least when it isn't raining anyway.

SATURDAY 11th & SUNDAY, OCTOBER 12th

This weekend has been nice and relaxing. Yesterday Em and me spent the day having a look around Limerick's city centre. It was a nice warm day, and the sun made an appearance which was nice. We found a McDonalds with free WiFi which means we could do a few things online. Our hotel does have WiFi but it it 15 euros / day to use! No thanks.

We didn't find anything too exciting in the city really. I did find a really good seafood chowder though. Neither of us were expecting Limerick to be such a nice place.

It is not the best experience going into an Irish city from what we have experienced. Although you cannot smoke in pubs, they make up for it everywhere else, and you are continually surrounded by people smoking. From what we have seen smokes are relatively cheap as well, which I guess doesn't deter people. An entertaining thing is to watch people cross the road. At traffic lights, they don't wait for the green man, they walk across in the middle of traffic, the cars slow and dodge. It doesn't matter if you are young or old, away you go. It is crazy. I am sure lots of people must actually get hit, but we haven't witnessed anyone yet.

In the afternoon Marie came and picked us up from our hotel and we moved our bags into our new home. It was so nice to know we will be in one place for hopefully our time in Ireland.

This morning we went for a walk, but have not done anything exciting. It is a cool, overcast, typically Irish day, I think. Nice day to stay at home.

Em starts work tomorrow, and I will be going around to all of the physio practises to see if anything is available. No other plans for the week.

Comments

1

Great to read your news and a wonderful photo of you Em xx

  Imogen Oct 18, 2008 7:08 AM

2

Hi guys! great work that you can now exist in Ireland! No doubt that was a little frustrating adn at times stressful...all sorted now. Have a great first day at work em!

  bridget Oct 18, 2008 1:31 PM

3

Great blogging! - I am impressed by your computer savvy as well as the lovely long stories you are telling about your days. Good luck for work!

  Jodi Oct 19, 2008 3:50 PM

4

Hey GUys! Great to read of your travels...Have fun at work em and best of luck finding work Maneesh.

  Leighton Oct 19, 2008 5:58 PM

5

Drink more Gunness, take more photos.

  Steve Oct 20, 2008 2:10 PM

6

Hi guys, great account of your experiences, hope ypur jobs going well Em and your job hunting is successful Maneesh,iooking forward to your next adventures xx

  Mary and Laurence Oct 22, 2008 12:23 PM

7

Great to read your blogs. Good effort on setting up this site. It'll be awesome to look back and see all the exciting things you have done and experienced (while most of us have been 'stuck' in NZ!). Good luck finding a job Maneesh. You know....you could always come back to PNH to work!! ha ha ha!!!

  Sarah Oct 22, 2008 4:59 PM

8

great to read your adventures! Hope you are all settled at work and home now! Give me a phone number so I can call you guys some time for a chat.
x o x

  Kylie Look Oct 28, 2008 10:02 AM

9

Ah everything Irish Sounds all nice lush and green (and wet!).
Hope the job is as good as the one you have just left
Love Trish

  Trish Sims Oct 28, 2008 2:28 PM

10

You know, I was just thinking about you last night and wondering where you had ended up!! We're in Cork if you ever fancy a visit :) I am off to Limerick November 5-7 for a course (actually Adare) but maybe we could catch up for a drink?
xx

  Alannah Oct 28, 2008 7:55 PM

11

Hello Em! Congratulations on finding a home - now you can start to feel settled. I noticed that you went to Ennis. It is indeed a pretty town. My ancestral home on my dad's side is at Ennistymon, very close by there. It's nice to see pics of you, too. You haven't changed a bit!! :)

  Marea Oct 28, 2008 8:32 PM

12

Great blog - thanks for all the news! So good to know what you're up to all the time etc! I will get around to emailing you soon promise ... love keryn xxx

  Keryn Oct 29, 2008 11:38 AM

About milko_rosie


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Ireland

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.