Existing Member?

Emma & Maneesh on the Big OE

Getting started in Limerick

IRELAND | Tuesday, 7 October 2008 | Views [621]

Em is successful after her job interview

Em is successful after her job interview

SUNDAY, OCTOBER 5TH

After a suprisingly good sleep and a nice breakfast we packed our bags, and after a quick internet session we walked down to the “Busarus” (the Dublin bus station). It was only a 20 minute walk which was okay. We caught the 10:30am bus across to Limerick, which was about 200km. It took just under 4 hours. A nice quite journey on a Sunday, through some really nice little country towns just like what you see in TV shows. Narrow, cobbled streets with joined blocks of stone buildings, some painted lots all different colours. The countryside was beautiful – very, very green (greener than New Zealand!) .This was what we had come to see.

After arriving in Limerick we walked for about half an hour with our packs on to our hotel which was fantastic (the hotel, not the long, heavy walk!). Our own room with an ensuite! It was actually the cheapest accomodation we could find at 45 euros a night, much the same price as the hostel in Dublin. The only problem was there was no cooking facilities or a microwave, which meant meal time would be more difficult. After sorting out our things we headed down the road to a really nice shopping centre, and bought some food for our lunch and also breakfast the next morning. Unfortunately there was no fridge in the room either, so we had to eat anything perishable that we bought. That afternoon we just relaxed in our room, Em read and I found a great TV channel with comedy galore.

MONDAY, OCTOBER 6TH

We were up fairly early, and after breakfast headed into town as we were were meeting with one of our recruitment agents, Garrett. The main reason to meet with him was so he could talk to Em about her interview which she was having on Tuesday for a job based in Limerick. After a couple of hours, including driving around trying the find out where Em's interview was the next day, we headed back to our hotel we were relaxed for the afternoon. Em spent the afternoon preparing for her interview and I turned on the TV to the great comedy channel again. That evening, instead of getting something from the supermarket for dinner we got chinese, as this was the best way of getting some vegies to eat. We can only do so many noodles, cup-a-soups, and bread rolls!

TUESDAY, OCTOBER 7TH

Well today was the day when we may find out if we were living in Limerick or not. Em's interview was at 11am, so we got a taxi to this. She was really nervous for the morning, and this didn't settle until she got into the interview. After about an hour we left to go back to the hotel. On our way to the bus stop, 40 minutes after Em had finished her interview she had a phone call to say that she was successful and they would like her to start as shortly as possible. This was great news, as this meant that we could start house hunting, and get set up in one place.

That afternoon we had a relaxed afternoon but started the search for possible places to live. After contacting 5 or 6 people we quickly realised finding somewhere to live would be harder than we thought. We are aiming to move into an already established flat, but a no one was happy to have a couple move in, so our search had only really just started. Unfortunately both me and Em had started to get colds with the sniffles and sore throats but going okay overall.

About milko_rosie


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Ireland

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.