Existing Member?

Ramblings of an Addict Tales from my journeys around the World.

Yuni, Bolivia, 31 August - 2 September

BOLIVIA | Thursday, 6 September 2007 | Views [1178]

We arrived to Yuni at around 0130 in the morning and the temperature was almost below zero so we decided to get ourselves a good hotel with heating, sadly there were only two of those in town and the cheaper one was full so we ended up paying 60USD for a night in the best hotel in town, but it was worth it.

The next day we booked our tour of the salar and our train tickets from Yuni to the Argentinian border. I don´t know what´s wrong with me but I had developed a serious case of constipation, even though diarrhea should be the thing, so I wasn´t feeling the best and basicly rested and tried some medicine from the local pharmacy which didn´t work for me.

On saturday morning we were picked up from our hotel for the tour by our driver in his Toyota Landcruiser and our journey of the salar started. The tour took us to a local salt processing plant where they clean the impurities from the raw material gathered from the salar etc. After that we went to the flats, sadly words can´t describe the views, so you´ll have to wait for pictures. In the afternoon we stopped by an coral island in the salar for lunch, the island was topped by loads of really high cacti. After this we ended our day just outside the salar at the root of a 5400m high volcano in a small village.

The next morning we went up to the volcano, had a look at some mummies in a cave and then continued towards the top, sadly I was still suffering from the constipation so I had to surrender to the pain and return back to the car after a little bit of climbing and enjoy the sun. So I guess I was only up to 4800m-5000m or something. While tanning myself I got a great look at a condor attacking it´s prey just 30 meters from me, how I wish I would have had my camera out of it´s bag.

After we returned to Yuni at 6PM we still had 8 hours to kill before our train left so we booked ourselves into a cheap hotel for shover, shit & sleep, the shit part was maybe a bit too wishfull thinking atleast for me.

The train arrived at the argentinian border at around 12.00 and it took us 2.5 hours to get trough the border formalities, after this we took a 30 hour buss ride to Buenos Aires from La Quica and now we are here relaxing. And I actually feel relaxed after my stomach started to work again.

Tags: The Great Outdoors

About mikko


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Bolivia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.