Existing Member?

Round the World Journey

Boston

USA | Thursday, 7 September 2017 | Views [320]

The flight from Vancouver to Toronto was fine although i was sad to be leaving Vancouver so soon.  We had to change at Toronto onto a smaller plane and on boarding we were soon informed that Boston airport was closed for an hour due to storms. An hour later we taxied off and seemed to go in circles before we were informed that air traffic control at Boston had changed its mind and that we would have to wait for another hour.  The plane was a small one with fixed propellors looking like something from an earlier era.  A fresh injection of fuel due to the delays seemed to do the plane wonders so when we did finally take off it sounded more like a plane and less like the motor mower it had done previously. Due to all the delays, i didn't arrive at the hotel until 11pm and could only find a McDonalds for supper, not what I wanted.  

Boston is another enjoyable city. Since I only had a day i decided to fork out $39 on a hop on hop off bus which I usually avoid like the plague. It was good for giving you a good overview of the city and how big it is but was somewhat wanting depsite an incesstant commentary in terms of information. Boston Bob one of our drivers was a lovely big character but hard to decipher at times. I heard a lot about red coat Brits defeated at Bunker Hill but I am not sure how good the history really was.... 

A highlight for me was the Boston Museum of Fine Arts which has an amazing collection of Monets and an extensive Japanese and Chinese collection which I throughly enjoyed.  Apparently, when Japan was opening to the world (faced with a US barrel) 3 Bostonians had teamed up with a Japanese historian to purchase many temple and samurai treasures that might otherwise have been lost. The collection of Kunioshi surinome (iillustrated haiku and letter for patrons) was particularly impressive.

So many sights and so little time.  We saw Massachusetts Institute of Technology but not Harvard which apparently shares 'geek square', plenty of friendly Irish and Italien folks and some good memories of this great port and trading city.

About mikeccarson


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.