Existing Member?

The Big Adventure

Chang Mai - not Shang Hai!

THAILAND | Saturday, 22 December 2007 | Views [836] | Comments [1]

So, the 'express' train to north thailand was not as bad as expected. We had really cosy little bunkers one on top of the other but our conducter stole mine and made us sleep together so it was a fun but cramped experience! We LOVE Chang Mai, it is so beeoootiful and a welcome relief after Bangkok. We had this amazing hostel with a pool for 4 pounds a night and great breakfast. The day after we got there we went on a 2 day, 1 night trek in the jungle with 7 other people. The first day wa a trip and swim in this gigantic waterfall followed by a 4 hour steep trek up and down big mountains which was not good for my health, luckily Mikey carried my rucksack as well as his, hee hee! We then visited the Karen tribe and then stayed in the elephant camp overnight in a hut with no electric or anything. In the morning the tribes people rounded up the elephants and we went on a 90 minute elephant ride through the river which runs through the mountains in a valley - it was so beautiful and the nelliephants were really well cared for. The elephants dropped us off on the riverside where we were picked up on Bamboo rafts and had to raft for 2 hours down the river, because of the balance we had to stand up the whole way which was the equivalant to a bodymax class Kel!. The trek was fab and we just spent the next few days lazing around and going out with some friends we made on the trek. We were the only brits, so we can now swear in Dutch and Swedish!! Oh, we also took a motorbike up to a temple high in the mountains which was cool too. We then decided to leave Thailand for now and head to Laos which as a 3 day trip by minivan then by boat............

Tags: The Great Outdoors

Comments

1

Hello my sweeties...
Once again you're journey sounds amazing. I'm feeling rather jealous! :p
I wish I secretly climbed into your bag before you left now! :(

I must admit rafting whilst standing up for two hours sounds too much like hard work to me - Don't think I could have done that so top marks for that girlfriend! -Who needs bodymax a......

Love ya!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

  Da Greenaways Jan 3, 2008 12:18 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.