Existing Member?

The Big Adventure

Bangkok Baby!

THAILAND | Saturday, 8 December 2007 | Views [986] | Comments [10]

Well I know its taken a week to write anything but thats just me and Mikey for you! We got here safely but were in a bit of culture shock and couldn't quite take it all in at first. The only word I think of to describe Bangkok is BIZARRE. There is such a mix of random things and people, big impressive buildings stand next to little alleyways full of thai people cooking food on tiny little stands - health and safety rules do not apply - dirty holes in the ground with loose electric cables lie outside beautiful hotels. It is most strange indeed. However that does not mean it is not a fun place to be in - just not electrically safe! Anyway we started our trip in a place called Sukhumvit which is quite a nice area of the city. Our hostel, Suk 11, was set back in the road and covered in trees and bushes and plants everywhere and completely made of wood. There were even vines growing along the ceiling of the corrider as you walked to your room. The hostel was full of little hidey holes and nooks and crannies such as a hidden away roof top terrace and a little tree house thing in the lobby. Breakfast everyday was also fab as you know food comes first in my life! Strangely - especially if you know Mikey well - he was up before me everyday nagging me to get up, the time zone obviously did a bit of a personality swap or something. Anyway basically this week we have just been exploring the city mainly visiting parks and shops and things. On wednesday it was the Kings 80th birthday so to avoid all the crowds we decided to go to the zoo to keep out of the way. Being typical of us, the zoo was right next to the kings palace where the mass parade was starting from so we got embroiled in the celebrations after all! This included waving flags and everyone singing the national anthem over and over again. The people here also wear a yellow shirt with 'long live the king' on it and the royal emblem so of course i had to buy one, didnt blend in very well though! Because we were up the non touristy end of town everyone was staring all day at us and pointing and wanting to take our picture. Now we know how Posh and Becks feel! By thursday we had moved to the infamous Khoa San Road, Tashies recommended part of Bangkok. All I can say is Oh My Word. What a place - full of backpackers and crawling with street venders, including children, trying to sell you anythng and everything. I think they would sell their left ball if they thought they could get 10 Baht for it. Apart from the persistent tapping on your shoulder or giant lighter/musical frog/hammock being thrust in your face, this place is amazing. The buzz is fab and its like a non stop party street. In honour of my Tashie I bought a t shirt with Starbucks logo on it. Our hostel here is an absolute dive with bugs and dirty walls, its very difficult to move around a small box without touching the sides, but we managed it with the help of my antibac gel. No actual cockroaches yet but i think i killed a baby one/?woodlouse on Mikeys back during last night. YUCK. Anyway we are off to Chang Mai at 19.30 tonight on a 14 hour sleeper train which should be quite an experience. Thats in north Thailand where we can do the real fun stuff like trekking in the jungle and trying not to be eaten by lions and tigers and bears (boom boom). On that note, we will try not to get eaten and will let you know how it goes. Hopefully I will get to ride a nelliephant hurrah.

Much Love and Kisses

A and M xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Tags: Culture

Comments

1

All sounds fab ( Mike nagging you to get up in the morning) thats a bit much to beleive!! Program on tv about a group of monks in Chang Mai who keep tigers and walk them on leads. Tiger reserve. Den said you had gone to Shanghai not Chang Mai only a couple of thousand miles difference. Going to manchester to the wedding tommorrow, ooooooohh, Grandma looks eligble for free gas central heating so will try and get that fitted soon. Piere still on the drive not touched yet, the weather has been crap. Had a long talk to ray on skype the other night. They are coming down for drinky's over christmas some time. Be nice to the nelliphant. Lots of love Mum and dad

  phil karen Dec 13, 2007 8:28 AM

2

Wassup Posh and Becks...:p

Oh my good god you've only been there a couple of weeks and you already have so many stories to tell!
I take it you survived the lions, tiger and bears oh my!

Ducky is behaving and keeping me company.... He tells me stories and stuff at night. He never complains!

Bet you've got a nice tan - Weather has been pants here - flipping freezing!

Not much happening in the life of da Greenaways. Looking forward to Christmas but I think it's going to be a quiet one this year.
Just been thinking.......Who's toilet am I going to throw up in this new years eve with you in Bangkok! You really didn't think this trip through did you. hahahaha...Only kidding!
Everyone else is ok - Em's twins are getting bigger by the day. Will place a pic on Facebook so you can see exactly how big they are.

Like sooooo love you or somefin.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx







  Da Greenaways Dec 14, 2007 1:40 AM

3

P.S - I'm looking after your green bag baby - Not sure you're gonna get it back because I love it!
xxxxxxxxxxx

  Da Greenaways Dec 14, 2007 7:15 PM

4

P.P.S - You could fit the nelliphant in my new (actually your) green bag xxxxxxxxxxx

  Da Greenaways Dec 14, 2007 7:19 PM

5

All sounds very exiting, but i bet it dosn't feel very christmasy. I have just finished wrapping,took me ages this year cos my bestest helper went half way around the world on some BIG ADVENTURE. School is winding down, kids winding up just how I like it. I have given your Emily these details cos she didn't have them.
Have a great time, merry christmas,
stay safe
luv yah

amanda
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

  AMANDA Dec 19, 2007 5:52 AM

6

hey you 2

It sounds amazing i'm really gealous.

Holy focaccia i don't beleive Mike was out of bed early this is totally amazing. I'm not sure i truly beleive you.

I'm going to finish work tomorrow...yea can't wait i'm so excited. It's gonna be great this year without my baby brother getting all the attention and getting in my way..

It's all about me this year sweetie!!:)

Only joking i will miss you terribly.

speak to you soon

Luv u loads
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

  Big Bro Dec 21, 2007 12:40 AM

7

I know i can't spell....i mean Jealous

  big bro Dec 21, 2007 12:41 AM

8

Glad you enjoyed a brief junket into Laos. Hopefully next time (and there will be one if you like adventure and getting away from IT) step a bit further out and hit the spots where they don't know what a greenback is, don't want you around till then know you, and a spot where you don't want to leave. That my man is paradise and there ain't much left of it. I hope you find it. I'm back myself in three weeks. And oh ya, I've got a spot I can't tell ya about. ;-) Probably the next generation after yours won't be able to find one. Shame.

  Johnny Boy Jan 25, 2008 7:42 AM

9

heya both hope you havin a good time missing you this is the first time i been able to get onto your web. GUESS what.....me and steve have moved out together in a nice little two bed house ahhhh!!!! work is gd bri baby is lush as well cant wait to see you!!! x x x x

  emily and steve Feb 14, 2008 1:14 AM

10

Hello, sounds as though you are having an amazing time, its great reading about your travels. Have an amazing time, what an experience - enjoy every minute x x

  Nicola Schilling Mar 1, 2008 9:18 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.