Existing Member?

Mighty's World Tour

Blog 18 - The Garden Route

SOUTH AFRICA | Wednesday, 15 March 2017 | Views [642]

When I left off we were starting our 900km drive over the next 9 nights from Cape Town to Port Elizabeth making 3 stops along the way hoping to experience what the southern coastline had to offer us. What we got was the amazing contradiction that is South Africa - scenery to die for partnered with people barely living. I have avoided swearing as much as I can in these blogs and all who know me know I love to drop a bomb from time to time, but in fairness I have a good adjective that starts with F and ends in D which would accurately describe this place's current situation and future. It honestly plays with your mind and heart everywhere you go.

Our 3 stops were Mossel Bay, Plettenberg Bay and Jeffery's Bay (J-Bay). We also made two day trips to Wilderness and Storms River.

With not a great deal to report that anyone would find interesting I am just going to list a few things we found / learned along the way

HIGHLIGHTS

- I can cook meat given any obstacle, my Braai proof of that
- The surf beaches are just amazing. While everyone except for every girl I met in Europe 2009-13 knows I don't surf, watching the massive waves smash into sheer cliffs with nut cases risking their life for the perfect ride was sensational.
- Wilderness is a stunning town. If you are coming this way make sure you camp here a few nights.
- The drive is beautiful. Passing the slums is hard and deflates you but the nature side of the drive is stunning and makes it fly.
- My round of 45 (9+) was only ruined by the fact no one saw it couple with the anti "caddy" club rooms.
- A KFC at every corner made you appreciate the love the locals have for fried chicken.
- a German Shepard that was clearly taught to bark its head off at the blecks would have been hilarious if it wasn't so racist.
- Kate's hysterical question asking "what the hell did this place do before the Lion King?"
- watching live day 4 of the second Test.

LOWLIGHTS

- Our 'white water rafting' day in Storms River turned out to be more 'placid water swimming'. There was no current to speak of and the rock areas had to be walked over to gain access to the next pool. Felt a little let down there.
- J-Bay is a shit hole. There is no other way to describe it. The images beamed back during world surfing tour events do not show how crappy and disappointing the place is. As mentioned above go to Wilderness instead.
- poverty, slavery, depression and the way the blecks are spoken to and treated.
- local television.
- watching live day 4 of the second Test.

Finding ourselves with 6 hours to kill in Port Elizabeth and realising very quickly it's not a place you really want to wander the streets, we took advantage one last time of the cheap cinema prices. I have cried 3 times during films...

1) I Am Sam - impossible not to
2) Return of the Sith - the climax of the 3 Star Wars movies RUINED by George Lucas and
3) The Notebook - no explanation needed

That was until today. A Dogs Purpose. No one who reads this will watch it, and I will accept the abuse that comes with the admission. Kate was a mess from start to finish and I had to look away and think of something manly to avoid breaking down...bloody pets, I miss Bruce.

Sitting at the airport our Africa journey, much like the scenic Garden Route, winds its way to an end. What started 10 weeks ago feels like it has been a much longer expedition. I feel I have more than touched on the far ranging emotions that have struck us so powerfully in past blogs but it is worth noting again this is an experience that has changed us. I know personally I am humbler, I have a hell of a lot less to complain about, I have a new appreciation for how wasteful I have been and I most importantly have more drive to use the life I've got for something good. Never ever underestimate or undervalue how good we have it in the greatest place on earth to live. We all have a chance that is offered to so very very few on this impoverished and broken land.

We could not be more excited about the next leg of the trip! All things going to plan 6 months travelling in a huge loop through Europe. The first destination is the ancient city of Istanbul where East meets West. Turkey has been on both of our bucket-lists for a long time and it has been something we have spoken about since the day I made some guacamole-free tacos 3 years ago. The next time I check in it will be towards the end of our 12 night stay in the heart of the old city, walking distance from the Blue Mosque and a stones throw to the Grand Bazaar. I plan on living and enjoying everything the place has to offer - if that involves a morning Marlboro with my dirt coffee then I guess when in Turkey do as the Turkish do!

Thank you Africa, it's been different.

Until next time, Mighty out...

About mighty10


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about South Africa

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.