Existing Member?

Mighty's World Tour

Blog 9 - On the Road to Newcastle

UNITED KINGDOM | Saturday, 31 December 2016 | Views [345]

NOTE - this is being posted 2 days after I wrote it.  Happy New Years everyone

 

After a quick pit stop at the Peterborough service centre on the way up to see Raff in Newcastle I have been relegated to the back seat and decided to whip the iPad out for a bit of writing. And there is a bit to catch up on. The last 10 days since we landed have been a whirlwind of laughs, celebrations, catch ups, booze, presents and a distinct lack of sleep! There hasn't been a great deal of tourism but we have seen the bars and people we want to see!

The Doull (who I've had to hide the whole time was coming over to meet up with us) finally arrived without event early in the morning. Upon our arrival in Shepherds Bush where we would be based for the next 7 nights we made the Aussie pilgrimage to Belushi's to plan our surprise for Jack when he got in to town. I'm confident that everyone who is reading this has seen the resulting video knows what happened next (check out my Facebook if you haven't). It was awesome to be a part of and we were so happy to see each other. We dumped our bags and checked into the Airbnb (more on that in a second) and headed straight back to the pub. Was an awesome day and a ripping start. It was like it had been a week not 9 months since Jack was living with Kate and I.

I need to explain the Airbnb and how crap it was because it facilitates following events. You pay extra for a house so you can have privacy, a homely bed and a place to live. The sofa the Doull had was as comfy as bumping into your ex, the shower was as cold as your ex and the utensils to cook with were as crappy as your ex. The joint was no good and my review told them so. We did everything we could to bring Christmas into the house but it was impossible in this dark dungeon. The fact we couldn't cook a Christmas lunch made the man in white and the Christmas spirit seem further out of reach. I'm very happy to say this changed.

We spent the next couple of days Christmas shopping and nights exploring Covent Gardens and Camden. James got me a lovely Christmas tattoo which we will both for the rest of our lives be very proud to show off and will never regret #beibs. There wasn't many people out at night and not the same vibe I have always experienced in these places over Summer, but the cold and gloomy conditions don't help. It was never going to snow this week, but it's cold and nothing prepares you for the sun going down at 4pm in the afternoon. You don't know when to eat and you always think it's bed time. It's not a complaint I just don't know how they do it.

Thursday Jack asked us to keep free. He had a great day of tourism planned for us. Kate went to have lunch with an old friend Jen from her Noosa days and the three boys headed off to pub - well we went to head to the pub but jack decided to take us on the "most boring streets of London" tour until the Aussies took over and found a joint. And it started...after a failed attempt to get a free pint due to our lunch stuff up, the girls joined us and I got to meet Jen who is out of this world lovely and funny. It wasn't even that noticeable she was a slow Queenslander! Jack revealed the big plan for the day was to hit up Winter Wonderland in Hyde Park and we were all for that with his sister Georgia and Doull's friend Steph meeting us after work. Then Jack got a call. Then Jack got offered a new job. Then Doull bought "one shot" to celebrate. Then it was 11pm, we had not moved from our table and we were the only people in the world. I don't know how I got home which is funny cause neither does Kate. Some people didn't even make it home or went a very long way. People were shocked that Australian's have heard of Jenga. Jack gave us all the very good reasons why he needs a new job (story for the lads). 8 hours later we didn't get that free pint and I don't think we needed it. We had been invited to Jen's house for Christmas lunch and we had the best day with some of the best people you could ever ask for.

The next day we achieved NOTHING. Cannot believe Jack went to work. Glad Georgia was breathing. Needed McDonlads and sleep. I did get myself off the couch long enough to go to the movies on my own which was weird but well worth it to see Star Wars. WOW, just WOW.

Christmas Eve Kate had to finish some shopping off so Doull and I went to Lords and Abbey Rd to do some tourism before we all went to meet Jen and her man Tom for a drink and meet-and-greet. After the pub we were in closed at 3pm (and I had just nestled in too) we headed finally and unexpectedly to Winter Wonderland. Warning for future Aussies to London - shorts over skins gets you very odd looks and does not keep you warm. Beers do tho so just make sure you have them. The clear highlight of the night was Doull and I trying to knock the cups over to win a prize by throwing the balls as hard as we could and getting nowhere, with the 3 50kg Muslim girls next to us softly throwing them down in 3 goes, and giving us their left over balls and advice on how to do it properly. You don't reckon we heard about that?!?!

Christmas Day I was up early for a call back home before having another rest then present time. Santa found us and was very generous on a strict budget! It was great to see the family happy and together. We then took the most indirect route in the world to Jen and Tom's not sure what to expect and were greeted with a feast of all feasts. The generosity that the guys showed was ridiculous and above and beyond anything we could of expected. We ate until we burst and then played Jack's Christmas present Articulate as Santa hadn't quite wrapped that one yet. The night got later and the banter got funnier and the great game produced its normal relationship testing moments. We cannot thank the guys enough for having us.

Boxing Day morning a hungover Mighty had a chat to a very drunk Tristan and Nick before it was time to head to Chelmsford. Meeting us at the station was Jack and the old man Lethal Lee. Bags were dropped at the next hotel and it was off to the Sterland's to meet the whole family and spend any down drinking and eating. Mum Jane, Lee, Georgia, nan, nan, pop, the cousins, the family friends and Blazzer are just the best people you could meet. They gave us anything and everything and were simply amazing. They just adored hearing stories about Jack's wifi use, his late night sleep overs and his failed relationship with Penny from our point of view. The conversation never struggled and at one point pretty sure I heard Kate comparing hole in the ground toilet stories with pop. We laughed all day and mugged off Jack. We played the longest game of Articulate ever but God we laughed and laughed. Once again go too late Kate and I grabbed a taxi home while the Doull and Jack tried their luck at a local nightspot but ended up in bed together.

A pretty lazy rest day was required yesterday and it's exactly what happened. We took Blazzer for a walk, Jack ate a olive subway and we had a burger for dinner. Night was topped off with a spot of Harry Potter.

This morning Doull and I picked up the car on a morning so cold my beard started to get icicles and we are counting that as snow. Checked out of the hotel and went to Jack's for a fry up. And what a fry up. Wish we'd known about this when he was living with us. We said our goodbyes but not fair wells and started the drive up north the the toon.

I'm tired, it's been a massive few days but it's been so much fun with many more exciting things coming up.

Until next time, Mighty out

 

About mighty10


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.