Existing Member?

Mighty's World Tour

Blog 2 - Still in Singapore

SINGAPORE | Saturday, 19 November 2016 | Views [449]

It's around 4pm on a Saturday afternoon. I have woken from my arvo nap to the aches and pains that plague my body which has aged well beyond its 35 years and am reminded I should have been playing cricket. I appreciate the boys sending me through updates despite the results being a little indifferent I do and always will miss it. Good to see a few of my prodigies doing well today!

A few observations and things I have learned over the past few days...

A few years back me and the boys on Sail Croatia met Nick, a self professed 'yellow fever' addict. While I can safely say I have never caught the bug, for those who read this and get a bit itchy at the thought of a petite Asian lady, this is the place for you! You will need money, and I mean real money, and a successful job to land one here - but if you're looking for the Golden package this is your place.

Asian men and women are NOT intimidated by anything. I am not a massive man, nor am I small. Over here I can be 3-4 times the size of someone. Not once, without exaggeration, have I been able to hold my line walking down the street. And I have tried. As has Kate. But every time we chicken out. Whether chasing Pokemon, updating Insta or choking back a Marlboro Red, they aren't moving.

Sentosa Island and beach are pretty amazing. I talked about getting the first burn out of the way the other day talking about getting used to street food. Well on Thursday I copped the first burn! But the pain has subsided and my skin colour is returning to its beautiful Mediterranean brown as opposed to hauntingly white. You basically have the water to yourself too. People from the region aren't what you would call water confident.

We continue to eat amazing food for cheap and are somehow in an expensive country keeping under our $100/day limit! While the food has been sensational going in, not the same can be said every time for going out! While we get more and more used to the idea of spices in our diet we've had to make a few emergency pit stops. My Indian experience had me rushing to the facilities. But sometimes there isn't always one in site or a suitable distance away. I leave it to Kate to tell her nature story at the Gardens by the Bay!!!

Christmas has come early to Singapore much to Kate's absolute delight. We have seen Christmas carols, Christmas trees and giant female Santa's. We have been to Christmas markets down at Marina Bay that provided so many free samples we have done two laps twice! There is only so many times I can pretend I will come back and buy a leg ham for Christmas Day when I leave the country in 2 days!!! On a side note for my boys back home I have tried again a number of samples of Tiger Raddler - much like we had in Croatia - very very good hopefully that gets shipped to a Dan's back home. Kate also was a massive fan of the elderflower Sommersby.

I did mention we were taking the satay challenge tho I have waited til tonight. I am going to ingest as many $0.70 satay sticks as I can fit. I fear it would be a bit less that a week ago. I can already feel the effects of being much healthier - which is obviously good but I don't want to let myself down tonight.

After writing this I am hopping in the shower to hand wash my jocks and socks which are running critically low due to the heat and the $12 tab to wash your clothes.

Kate has awoken from her nap and needs a snack and in fairness so do I.

Until next time, Mighty out

 

 

About mighty10


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Singapore

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.