Existing Member?

2009

Slovakia

SLOVAKIA | Saturday, 5 September 2009 | Views [446]

On a timeline for the first time in a while intent on being in Ireland by the end of June, Slovakia was only touched on with a couple of days spent in the capital, Bratislava. It was great to have only a short 60km bus ride from Vienna.

The 10th century Bratislava Castle soars prominently 85 meters above the Danube river. Again under construction after being burnt to the ground in 1811 and rebuilt in the 1960's the rectangular building with cornered bastions would have been an imposing sight in a prime, strategic location centuries ago!.. that is if today's is an even close depiction. 

A UFO shaped tower (hence the name) on the Bratislava New bridge is directly in the eye-line, looking out of place in a small town of impressive cobble-stoned alleys and plazas with cafe's swarmed with pedestrians. Random bronze statues are scattered around the city including a man on a park bench, a guy with a top-hat and a workman climbing out of a sewer hole. The weather was perfect and it was great to relax over a coffee. 

We visited old town hall with the core established in the 15th century and now headquarters of the Bratislava City Museum, 14th century gothic gate, St. Michael's gate consisting of a square tower and many churches, most notably St. Martin's Cathedral.

Playing the guitar at the hostel with a couple of others I was told that the Slovakian version of Oktoberfest was in full-swing complete with beer hall, long tables and bratwurst sausages. How could we resist! We were disappointed at being escorted out before 12am.. not for our behaviour but because they were shutting up shop. We're sure to be in better form in Munich later this year!

 

About mickryan1983


Follow Me

Where I've been

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Slovakia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.