Existing Member?

2009

Romania

ROMANIA | Monday, 15 June 2009 | Views [406]

At 21.5 million people Romania has a population similar to that of Australia, however the number of rulers of their land makes you wonder how they ever managed to establish a country at all. After attempting to remain neutral in both WW1 and WW2 Romania was drawn into both. Following the end of WW2 soviet backed democratic elections resulted in communist backed leadership and rule until 1989.

Bucharest is scarred and tainted with the mutilation of the old and erection of the new, engineered by the Communists and Nicholae Ceausescu. This combination has resulted in a very unique city. Loans financed by the west grew to as high as $13 billion US! Whilst this debt was eventually repaid before the Romanian Revolution of 1989, it was at the expense of a poverty stricken population whose agricultural and industrial production were being exported. Three days after the revolution Ceausescu and his wife were executed on christmas day.

The "Palace of Parliament" is unbelievable - it would want to be for the most expensive administration building ever built! On sqaure meters its base makes is the second largest building on the planet.. after the pentagon. 10% remains incomplete and all but 3% of the building is vacant. A quiet park scattered with trees and a little overgrown and unkept rests directly in front. I learned that the reason for this is that Romanians hate what is ironically known in Romania as "the palace of the people". They are ashamed of it and it is a reminder of their dark recent history. The park at the botanical gardens is a complete contrast, beautiful and well kept. A hive of activity, playgrounds, a lake and many people enjoying the serenity.

Running perpendicular to the palace is Ceausescu's attempt at replicating the "Champs Elyees"... lets just say that he didn't quite achieve this. Walking through winding streets, people are outside enjoying the weather, sitting in the dozens of outdoor cafes. Before you know it you're looking at a hidden church. Ceausescu ordered buildings to be built to surround many churches and hide them from the public eye. We visited "Revolution square" and enjoyed the history lesson from the "free" tour guide. Thankfully the hostel guys let you know how much you're expected to pay at each city's free walking tours. There has only been one so far that I haven't been impressed with.

From Bucharest to Brasov. Brasov is small scenic town in central Romania. It was great to be back amongst a green environment, surrounded by mountains and a 2 night stay was extended. A few drinks with dinner turned into following a couple of Romanian girls halfway around the town to "Tequilla Nightclub". A few free tequilla shots on arrival and a 50% discount on the cover charge (Australian celebrities!). Confetti poured down from the ceiling celebrating the club's 5th birthday and girls danced on the bar. I had to ask a cab driver to us to St. Nicholas church because it was the only landmark I could remember in the vacinity of our hostel, whose name had eluded me... Confession was probably in order.

A huge "Brasov" sign emulating the "Hollywood" sign overlooks the town, high up in the mountains. Darrin, Steph and I hiked to the top and managed not to get too lost despite taking the unconvential route. The view after climbing to the top of the "B" was sensational. I could see for miles, a small town directly below complete with an athletics track, tennis courts and beyond... bright green plains strething out as though it never ended.

A bus to Bran to check out "Dracular's castle" was something that we had to do. The commercialisation that comes with a tourist attraction was enterntaining, locals flogging off everything from "Scream" masks to real swords. However the castle itself wasn't very impressive and was most memorable for the alarms and guards in every second room that came running if you so much as leant on the string restricting further access. I only wanted a quick nap on the bed, honest!

 

About mickryan1983


Follow Me

Where I've been

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Romania

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.