Existing Member?

2009

Washington & Philadelphia

USA | Tuesday, 10 March 2009 | Views [306]

16 of us including Sam, and Eisner secondees from Australia, New Zealand and Sth Africa. 2 queen sized beds that more closely resembled singles and 4 ppl to a room best describes the accommodation, but it was cheap and location was excellent!

Superb planning went into the lay-out of the city which was designed by Frenchman L'Enfant. The White House sits directly in front of the Washington monument (tall squire seen in countless movies), which is then directly in-line with Capitol Hill and the Lincoln Memorial. The fountain that makes up part of the war memorial at the Washington Monument had been drained for the Winter due to freezing conditions, evident by the frozen reflecting lake (picture Jenny in Forest Gump). The Air and Space Museum and American National History Museums were in the same vicinity between the monument and Capitol Hill. The Air and Space.. was great detailing the innovation of aeronautical design as well and the race to the moon.

Checked out Arlington cemetery and JFK's tombstone. The changing of guards was taken extremely serious at the "Tomb Unknown Soldier" (dedicated to soldier's awarded bravery medals whose particulars remain unknown). Seemed over the top to me but that's the US in a nutshell. Hit the Georgetown university bars Sat night and staggered home in the very early hours! Perfect time to try an American vendor hotdog.

Got off the train at Pentagon station, it was a Sunday and the place was a deserted ghost town with only security, a relatively empty carpark and "no camera" signs surrounding us. The change in colour of the brick evidence of 9/11 and we departed quickly after being caught with cameras.

Had a "discussion" with the Chinese bus driver who announced as we left Washington that he was to drop everyone in Chinatown, NY - 50mins walk from Sam's as opposed to the 10 that it should have been! Frustrating after 4hr trip - guess he was looking after his own driving the cabs - walked in protest. He ended the negotiation very quickly "don't car' 'bout schedule get out walk catch 'nother bus". So I shut-up conversation over.

Went down to Philadelphia on Thurs and ran up the Art Museum steps made famous by Sylvestor Stallone in Rocky. I was surprised they looked higher on-screen! Visited Benjamin Franklin exhibition and went inside Congress Hall where the declaration of independence drafted by Thomas Jefferson and was agreed upon but not signed on 4 July 1776.

Expected more from "greatest little Italy" outside the real thing - turned out my map had the wrong st and the 2 Italian restaurants were just that. Went back the next day with Fi for a greasy feed (not hard to find in US) after learning of my error out in a Manu-yuk bar. Saw snow fall for the first time as we walked out in the early hrs of a second very messy night which was very cool! Got a new map after going to cross a bridge from University city (Drexel and University of Pennsilvania)that had 50m knocked out in the middle of it.

Missed "groundhog day" and Punxsutawney Phil by a matter of days - poor planning, would have been a laugh. He predicted 6 more weeks of Winter - early Spring or not this place is freezing but have definitely started to acclimatise. Walking through the melting snow-slush I can see why they love to can it... but then it doesn't take a lot for a New Yorker to give you their opinion.

Hope all's good with everyone!

Mick

About mickryan1983


Follow Me

Where I've been

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.