Existing Member?

Where to next?

Roma

ITALY | Thursday, 29 May 2008 | Views [369] | Comments [2]

This place is pretty crazy. The traffic  is pretty intense.  It looks like there are no rules cars, buses and millions of scooters dodging and weaving everywhere. Scooters are the dominant species here. Every traffic light looks like the start of a gp, with 10 bikes abreast waiting for the green or even just a gap.

As crazy as it looks, after watching for a while you can see the method in the madness. For all the chaos it just works. It has to be seen to be believed.

The tourists really stand out either driving on the road or tying to cross it. You really have to commit and just push your way in, if you hesitate it's to late.

One thing I'll give the Italian's is they sure do know how to build monuments and churches. You don't need a guide book to find the good stuff just go for a walk and it's on every street or around the next corner. It looks like everyone lives in a 400 year old piece of history. Or maybe they just build everything to look that way :)

After checking into my room last evening, I showered and lay on my bed listening to a phrase book and fell asleep and pretty much didn't wake up until about 6am. I slept for close to 12hrs. Now I hope that helps my jet lag.

At the Trevi fountain I spied a man who appeared more interested in what was in the fountain rather than the fountain itself. He had a telescopic rod like a car antenna fishing out the coins that he could reach. He was very sly about it.


ciao

Micheal

Comments

1

Sounds like your having a great time, wish we were there?
Please be careful though, I have heard from Bianca about the rogues and pickpocket artists just waiting to get someone.
Have a great time, good luck at the MotoGP.

Love M,D&B

  Dad May 30, 2008 12:33 PM

2

Hey Michael,
Wet, lost, don't speak the language and hardly any money sounds like a perfect adventure. Aren't the cultural differences fantastic? If the situation was reversed in Australia the tourist would probably be told "piss off wog" instead of be driven around town to find a compatible ATM. Glad to hear your having fun and enjoying the food. Keep safe.
Love Aunty A x

  Angela Cornwall Jun 6, 2008 12:10 PM

About mick2077


Follow Me

Where I've been

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.