Existing Member?

Year of the Pig Adventures Mick and Fi's adventures to share with family and friends

Acropolis Awe

GREECE | Wednesday, 19 September 2007 | Views [510] | Comments [2]

For our last full day in Athens, Mick and I have just trekked up to the Acropolis to trample with all the other tourists over the ruins in the blinding sun. Restoration began in 1983 and there is far more scaffolding covering it now than when we were here last at the ripe old age of 21. When I was here, the gates to the Acropolis were closed for a ballet/ opera. At the time I was happy enough with the free light show turning alternating shades of yellow, red, blue, orange in time to the music over the Parthenon. But this was my first time standing underneath the Parthenon pillars looking straight up. The lines of the pillars are curved to counteract optical illusions and are so imposing you feel like as trivial as an ant. All built in 5th century AD. Did you know there was some English bugger called Lord Thomas Elgin who pinched the best surviving Parthenon Marbles and carted them back off to Mother England in 1801? Does anyone know if he still has them or not?...I picked up lots of tidbits listening in to tour groups pretending to take photos you see. 

We've picked out a place for 'The Last Supper' tonight, high up on the hill in the Plaka district. Athens is as chaotic and dirty and beautiful as ever. Our little hotel is in the Monasteriki district right in the heart of everything. Down the road is the fresh food & meat/ fish markets where you can pick up a cucumber, some plump little tomatoes (like they used to be Kath!), homemade feta cheese and a couple of loaves of fresh bread. On the way home is a great little wine shop to complete the meal and voila! All for about $10. The restaurants get fairly standardised around the tourist area. Mick has picked his gyros lunch today along what we've called the "Gyros Strip". But when in Athens...

Not long now till we see youse all again and bore you with photos. Fi xx  

Tags: Sightseeing

Comments

1

Hello there - Mick, Fi, Dad, Kay
Well i've read all your messages a couple of times now. Really does sound awesome over there, can only imagine. Its gotta be a sed feeling to be leaving though, oh well Mick n Fi you'll just have to settle for thailand.. Yeah hard life isn't it! I hope you are all great and squeezing every last drop out of greece, that's probably literally right? Hope those fires didn't take out too many vineyards, they'll need every grape after you lot.. Anyway take care and will be seeing you all very soon
Cheers
Jezza

  jeremy Sep 19, 2007 9:38 PM

2

Hi Fi!
(hope this message reaches you)
Glad to hear you & Mick are having a fab time. I can't believe you ate Rudolph, could not even begin to imagine what reindeer would tast like, but look forward to finding out when you return to brisvegas! Nothing much has changed here at work, did I say 'work'? Whoops (sorry) I know that word is not part of your vocabulary while you are experiencing the many wonderful cultures of the world! I must say it's not the same without you here - we miss you! It's Steve & my 10yr anniversary today - I can't believe it has been that long, scarey! Well I better get back to w#rk I guess. Enjoy the rest of your travels & I can't wait to hear all about your adventures on your return to the land of Auz! (Mick, I hope to finally meet you someday soon)
Be good (yeah right) & keep safe,
Meg xxx

  Megan Sep 24, 2007 12:46 PM

About mick-and-fi

Ah it's been nearly 3 years since we've been overseas...sob...SOON!

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Greece

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.