Existing Member?

an adventure exploring australia be off then Hello there folks, just another little blog because three aren’t enough I will use this to post some pics from the little journey that will hopefully take me around Australia with a brief stop over in Bangkok! Leaving UK 20th Septe

week one

THAILAND | Friday, 27 September 2013 | Views [476] | Comments [2]

arrived save and sound on the other side but currently hiding in an internet cafe to avoid the heat until i can actually go and check in to my hostel.

The first week abroad was a beautiful glimpse in to the beauty of Thailand. I had a super chilled first night in Bangkok. The place was so close to Wat Pho that I was able to stroll over Sunday morning for a relaxed stroll. The reclining Buddha was busy but the rest calm enough to wander and contemplate especially after a very deep and beautiful Thai Yoga Massage. I had fallen in love with the place within the first few hours. Actually already on the taxi ride from the airport with a super sweet driver showing me the sights.

I continued sampling the first bits of what would be a week of feasting local delights. Fresh young coconut, super amazing pineapple AND my very first durian. wihch to be honest was not great compared to the others i continued to find ;)

Chaotic taxe ride to Matt's flat. I made sure to turn the place into a bomb side, i.e. bag explodes within five minutes. We got absolutely soaked in the monsoon rain, but who cares...it is refreshing. Had a stroll along Khao San which wasnt as bad as I expected, mind you it was day light and just quite quiet still, plus I found a durian stall ;) all good. That was actually follwoing a huge mango smoothie. Beautiful yellow curry for dinner whilst grinder action spotting and my first chang beer...hello head aches. Not much fun. Hadnt sleept properly - i keep waking up at half two!

anyway, the durian makes up for all evil. best so far THE DESSERT: sweet sticky rice with durian and sweet coconut milk. OH YES! that as mid day snack between hours and hours of walking in circles in and around the madness that is MBK. A huge shopping mall with basic ally one floor dedicated to each your needs. but mainly mobile phones. :) Only took about 4 hours to find kitchen appliances. 

We let the day end with cheap beers and random chatter watching the ugliness that is old fat west meets cute poor east. But no prejudice here. Just saying.

Highlights included...madman speedboating esme and me on the Kanchanaburi river to a cave. Beautiful huuuge cave with Buddhas and Hindu deities, and bats. crazy bats flattering around our heads only leaving us the option of girlish screams and backward escapes.

Lush dinner - Bananaflower Salad! BEST. letting the evening end with Southafricans, English and Thais playing pretty good reggae :)

They are looking for a yoga teacher up here you say??? ... wwell, somehow I still managed to pack up and come to darwin already checking flights back to Bkk! :) Next time possibly avoiding the crowded streets where on every other corner you are being invited to watch a ping pong show, where dildos, viagra and valium (!?) are sold by the sude of the street.

I am a sentimental cow and leaving after only 5 days felt like leaving bristol after 9 years. Big love to Esme and Matt. It was amazing spending time with you guys!!! Love you! and hopefully see you soon! xxx

Comments

1

goodness me. literacy and poetic skills = ZERO when over tired. please excuse all the repetitions and shitty jibber. i try better next time!

  michi Sep 27, 2013 7:05 PM

2

Hopefully hear you soon with skype? Please don't forget your German language because it's better for me to understand :))

  Dad Oct 11, 2013 6:01 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.