Existing Member?

journey of young g

My life on the go..

NEPAL | Friday, 5 December 2008 | Views [697] | Comments [3]

My life has changed drastically since I have been traveling. Living out of a backpack is now easy. Im now used to things that I used to be uncomfortable with. For example, I used to shower 2 or 3 times a day. On this trip, there have been periods of time where I go days without a shower. There was a week where I wore the same clothes every day. No big deal. Half the time Im eating, Im not to sure of what it is. Traveling, you cant be picky. When I find ants, flys, hairs, mosquitos, or other mystery bugs in my soups, noodles, or rice, I just push them aside and keep chompin away: or just eat them for a little extra fiber. 

Im still trying to get used to people staring at me whereever I go. They are expressionless, glaring eyes. With almost everything I buy, its a must to negotiate, bargin, or haggle. The price people first say can be 2 to 3 times the real price. Sometimes, I just have to settle for being ripped off.

Im used to sleeping in uncomfortable places. Busses, trains, bus stations, and 4 dollar a night guesthouses. Much of the time, the sheets are moldy, smelly, and strait grimey when we arrive. I guess you get what you pay for.


Cold showers are the norm here ( using a bucket sometimes). Hot showers are luxury to me now. Westernized toilets are hard to come by. Usually, they are squatter style with a simple hole in the floor.

We rarely stay in places with a tv. When we do have one, watching the news is good to keep up on current events locally and worldwide. Being an American overseas is not always the safest thing in the world. When we are not watching the news, it s movies or hindi music videos (great comedy).

My priorities have changed, and I am very aware of how much money I spend (traveling on a TIGHT budget...any donations are gladly accepted). Practicing patience is an everyday ordeil. From public transportation, to the language barriers, to any of the other hundreds of streeses while traveling, being patient is vital.

Im the foriegner, the minority, the one thats different, and the one with money (in their eyes). Im in their territory, and I always keep that in mind. Im always hesitant about trusting the people I meet.

I have been all over thailand, through Laos, Cambodia, North east India, and Nepal. Ive seen and done many incredible , unforgettable things. I am enjoying learning about, understanding, and experiencing the diverse cultures of the world. People around the world live very different lives in extremely different ways. But, we are all people. We are all essentailly searching for the same things and all have the same needs for survival. As an America, learning about all this makes me feel so lucky, and appreciate everything that I have, mainly my family, my health, my education, and teh ability to have food and shelter everyday.

Ive been with the lovely Jenny Agis for the last 90 days and nights. I have never learned so much about any 1 person in my life. Through this trip, and this relationship, I have learned so much about myself.

Much love to all family and friends..

Comments

1

Where are you two darlings? Have not heard a peep from you for entirely too long. Blessings of the Holy Christmas season to each of you. Love~ momma & pops gee ~

  Momagee Dec 23, 2008 4:47 PM

2

Hi Matt & Jenny,
Wow, what a trip you two have been having. I can't imagine how you can eat those things.....even for the extra fiber.
Every wish for your continued journey to be interesting, eventfull and safe.
Our love to you both.

  G P Tom and Betty Jan 5, 2009 3:24 AM

3

Hi Matt & Jenny: Great to read your blog and live your adventures vicariously! Missed you this holiday season (it was a wonderful week long white Christmas!), but know you are expanding your beings, physically and mentally! Be safe and continue to learn and enjoy... love you... Aunt Susie

  Susan Regan Jan 6, 2009 11:06 AM

About mgee


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Nepal

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.