Existing Member?

journey of young g

SouthEast Asia

THAILAND | Thursday, 13 November 2008 | Views [1224] | Comments [2]

 bit overwhelming at first,the rich culture of SE Asia has made a great impression on me. Many Thai locals greet the foreigner with smiles, in Laos the look is something of confusion, and in Cambodia, many times I received a stare of curiosity.

Southern Thailand is loaded with beautiful beaches, bars, and a rasta atmosphere. For real, Bob Marley is everywhere. Its obvious that the southern coasts of Thailand have been discovered by many backpackers as well as tourists with higher budgets. It wasnt until we ventured to Northern Thailand that the true colors of the rich culture became apparent. The locals were no longer catering to tourists, as they were in the south. Rather they were going about their daily life of working in the rice fields, grilling up their noodles and fresh produce, or driving their tuk-tuks.  The hill tribe people have notyet conformed to living the modern day societies way of life. Few have access to their villages by car; motorbike is questionable. The women often work in the fields all morning as the men tend to the buffalo and take care of the children. Buddhism is a commonly shared belief and way of life throughout Thailand and SE Asia, but the people of the hill tribes often believe in Animism ( many migrated from China and Burma)or even Christianity.

Although rough at times, traveling through Thailand was comfortable and fairly easy. Laos and Cambodia were a different story. Crossing the unofficial land border from Laos into Cambodia was a journey. Everything about it was sketch and very unofficial. 2 dyas on a boat, sitting on a tiny wooden bench, jam packed with a few hundred other backpackers, floating down the muddy Meekong River was unforgettable. Laos is full of breathtaking beauty, especially through the Luang Prabang Mountain Range. Laos has a slight hint of European French style to its cities, often rundown. Poverty is much more "in your face" in Laos and especially in Cambodia. Land mine and unexploded bomb victims are forever in the street, either asking for money, playing music, or selling local culture books. While many children in Cambodia ride their bicycles to school each morning along the muddy clay streets, many children attempt to hustle foreigners by selling post cards or books (from sunrise to sunset). Its funny how practically everything in Cambodia costs one dollar. The Ancient temples if Ankor Wat attract so many tourists, the city of Siem Riep seems to grow each day.

Laos and Cambodia are very underdevloped, but it is apparent that thanks to the rising tourism, they will continue to generate an economic increase.

All magnificent countries. I have enjoyed embracing  the South East Asian culture... I must say i am ready for something other than rice and noodles for 3 meals a day.

I guess the best way to describe Thailnad, Laos, and Cambodia is...

Same Same... But Different! 

For a much better written description of the region, check Jenny's journal. same address.. jagis instead of mgee.

Comments

1

Nov 26th
Matt --First, HAPPY BIRTHDAY on Nov 29. The only gift we can send this time is "all of our love". And,even over there, have
a good Thanksgiving. Your reports are so good. We look forward to receiving them.
Love, Mimi & Papa

  Will & Marian Gee Nov 27, 2008 11:30 AM

2

Matt,
Happy belated Birthday! I really enjoy reading your postings, keep it up.

I'm really missing your brute strength right now...it's Christmas tree time!!! We are just doing one tree here at Rheem this year - Robert's big tree with our ornaments. By the time you ever get back here you won't recognize the place. We have signage (yes!)out front, they flip-flopped the reception area and moved the front door, Joan Goularte and her group got new digs on our side (cubes better than ours) and Grad biz is growing like weeds!!!!!

Thinking of you this time of year, and others, and hoping for your safe travels.
Mary Jo Bishari

  Mary Jo Bishari Dec 3, 2008 9:18 AM

About mgee


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.