Existing Member?

The world through my Mexican eyes

Leaving Frankfurt

GERMANY | Thursday, 1 January 2009 | Views [565]

The morning we left Frankfurt, it was freezing -10 C. Even Yaretzi used the expression "I am freezing". This reminds me how one of the first words she ever said was "cold". It was 8:00 in the morning when the phone rang, Bjorn had arrived to pick us up. Outside there were the Russians: Victor, Igor and Rita crying. I will never foget how Mexican they are. They could have appeared in a Mexican Pedro Infante movie and fit right in. Anyway, there they were saying goodbye. After donating 14 boxes of clothes to the Red Cross and hundreds of toys, the house was almost empty. It is so hard to leave your home behind: the house where we grew as a family; the house where Yaretzi learnt to crawl, and walk and talk; the house she decorated; the house where we happily recieved Mexican guests and where Laura, Laura, Laura "Ñaña", Udo, Heidy "tia tequila", Dirko, Dan, Carolina, Gerd, Isabel, Rosa shared so many dreams and gastronomic skills together. I will never forget the Scottish Mole, the Peruvian pisco, the Colombian arroz con coco or the German beer. Although I was happy to return to my homeland It was difficult to say goodbye to our wonderful friends; Yaretzi didn't want to leave Frankfurt, she was extremely sad not to bring all her toys back. She was saying for several days "this is my home" "I do not want to live anywhere else". She said it was ok for her friend Sophie to keep her toys but the moment she saw her taking her table and bycicle she burst into tears and it took time and Laura's expirience with nephews to calm her down. It was heart beaking for me to see her so depressed at her age. So in between my emotions we left the house. Isabel stayed to give back the keys and finished the food in the fridge. I still wonder how she went back to her town with the 5 bags ( most of them Mexican food), Ericks coat and her 2 suit cases from her Portugal trip. Erick and Yartezi left with Bjorn and 3 suit cases; I left with Victor and 3 suit cases, the stroller and a bycicle. Everything was going as planned, we were going to meet at the parking lot. But, Victor ,the Russian ,made a wrong turn and he spent all the way saying we were lost, and he was certain we were going the wrong way, but he kept on going because that is the way Vitor drives he can´t go back. Luckily we found a turn to the airport and the right way. So, we arrived and found the other car, we were relaxed when the phone rang, it was Laura Rangel. Laura: wha time is your flight? Erick: at 11am Laura: there isn't any flight at 11am there's one at 10 am and another one a 4pm Erick: thanks, Ill check Erick hang the handy( German for mobile) and he told me " we have to hurry" the schedule was changed and we are late. So we didn't have time to thank or say good bye, We just took the 5 suitcases, the stroller, the bycicle and Yaretziand we ran. We ran all of Frankfurts airport that sudenly became the largest airport in the world, larger than the ocean. running, pushing an airport kart and crashing every 2 seconds because of all the stuff I couldn't see where I was going but we made it.We got into the counter and a lady said. People going to Toronto here. So there we stood. The lady in the counter was as fast as a snail. She called to see if we could take the bycicle; she called then to ask how to pack it; then she called for someone to take a look at Yaretzi's pirate looking passport because it was issued in Frankfurts consulate and it looks pirate but it isn´t. Then she asked if the stroller should be packed and she packed it her self using just one hand. And then she did the check in but she coudn't type with more than one finger. Of course she interrupted the check in to go to the toilet and then she came back and said oh!! its too late hurry you may not make it. So we weren't relaxed anymore, We ran and ran and Erick had his laptop, a back pack, Yaretzi's suitcase full of toys for the flight and Yaretzi and I was carrying my laptop and a 100 kg back packand Yaretzis diaper bag, without diapers and Yaretzis babys and we were running, this time faster. As I was running the 100 kg back pack gained 900kg more and my feet also were hevier, so everytime I saw a garbage can I left something, first my jacket, then Yaretzi's... Then, we were stressed. I lost my breath and I was still runnig carrying alll that weight when we arrived to the security check point. The line was longer than the line to cross the border from Tijuana to Calexico on a Saturday. I guess that my skin color changed but then a nice man said "Sie haben Kleinkind, hier" . So we found the nicest German ever, (although he was probably Russian) and we skipped the line, We were the next to go. Of course they took out e v e r y t h i n g we had to check: Yaretzis babies, Yaretzis milk, Yaretzis empty bottle, medicine, they really belived we had something liquid they couldn't see in the X-rays and checked piece by piece. They didn't find anything and we continued running nd I continued throwing away what I could. But luckily we made it, people had began to bord we we were there. Yaretzi all the time was worried because the last tie we had lost an airplane in our almost trip to Turkey so she didn't complain. As soon as we were in the plane. She said" we didn't miss the plane".She was happy and sh played all the way to Toronto and she didnt complain once in all the trip. So thanks to Laura Rangel we didn't lose the plane.

Tags: airport, moving, toddler

About mexican_eyes


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Germany

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.