Existing Member?

Hoi ta toi toi! Chip chip cheeerio! Merry Trentadue's all up in the UK ...watch out! Travel Journal Here we go again!

Oct 21st - 22nd: London Customs vs Irish Customs. (can you guess where this is going?)

USA | Wednesday, 27 October 2010 | Views [1206]

My plane from Belfast to Cork, ManX2 airlines... SMALLEST. PLANE. EVER!

My plane from Belfast to Cork, ManX2 airlines... SMALLEST. PLANE. EVER!

Appoligies ahead of time for the poor spelling and typos. The keyboards are a little different, and I'm going to be fast, as Internet doesn't flow free from the mountian tops as it does in the states. I finally found a free computer at Belfast Uni that doesn't require a code! whoo hoo! (small pleasures :)

The flight over the pond was great! It was a 10 hour flight, but I think I slept some. Although I didn't really want to... there were about, 2,000 movies to watch. And really good ones! I only watched one. Rats. I had an empty seat in between, so it was great!

LONDON CUSTOMS OFFICER: (Friday, October 22, 11am-ish) So I get off the plane, know I have to go though customs to get let in, run over to baggage claim, grab my bag, and check in for a flight to Belfast. I've never have a problem getting into a country before. Australia, Mexico, Indonesia...totally fine. London on the other hand. Ha. I was interrogated for about 10 minutes...not including the five minutes I was left alone in line, while the guy left, I think to go watch how I was acting on camera while he was gone. "what are you doing here, do you have proof you have any money? Oh, you don't have a job in America? So, you are coming here to look for work then yeaH? Do you have friends here? What do they do? " and On and On and On. He asked to see my return flight, which I showed him. Along with that he saw I was flying to Belfast, and then to Cork, Ireland. So that spraked his interest.

Officer:"what are you going to do in Ireland?"

Merry: "Well, it's my birthday tomorrow, so hopefully drink a Guiness."

He said it appeared to him I was hopping around the countries looking for work. I assured him this was not the case, and I am going to use my return flight. He finally let me in, I ran down to get my bag, found the next airline to check into, checked in, and got on my flight to Belfast. I had about 30 mins to try to freshen up and look more normal in the bathroom before boarding.

Flight from London to Belfast was fine as well. An English lady sat to my left and asked me every question or concern she had about America. I'm grateful is was only a one hour flight.

Lady: "What do you think is causing the obesity problem in America? The portions there are offensively large! Do you think it's the fast food? Or the Portions? you'd think with your current unemployment rates, it would get better no?

Merry: "yeah, I dont know."

Lady: "What is your countries plans with Obama? We are all terrified here that you are going to vote him out! What is it with these tea party people. Please tell me you won't elect Sarah Palin"

Merry: "yeah I dont know."

I did the best I could in my brain dead state of exhaustion. Plane landed, I have less that one hour to go to baggage claim, find another airline, re-check in, and board the flight to Cork, ireland. I got charged a million dollars to check a second bag, but I understood when I walked out to the plane. It was 7 rows, total. Teenie Tiny plane! It was windy and rainy, and I was nervous the flight would be rough. But it wasn't!

IRISH CUSTOMS OFFICER: I landed in Cork Ireland around 5:30pm 10/22. There was no line. The officer greeted me with a smile, took my passport, looked at it for a while, and then said something like...

Office: "Hoi ta toi, roses! A bit of Champagne! Aye, patty, we should have had flowers ready!"

...or something like that. I had a hard time understanding him. It turns out, he was referring for my brithday being the next day, and spen 5 mins chatting with me, and making sure my friends were going to show me a good time. He was so freindly and welcoming...a huge difference from London.

Mt Irish friends from Dublin who I met backpacking in Austalia in 2008, Sean and Leanne, were waiting for me as I got my bag! We all hopped in their car, and headed south for Tralee, in County Kerry.

 
 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.